Author Topic: Great Grandfather died in WW1 im starting to think not  (Read 31347 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandfather died in WW1 im starting to think not
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Jen will probably know this - are there street directories/electoral registers available for this area at that time  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
There are some electoral registers, but they are arranged by streets not by people's names.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking maybe checking the address the family were at on census just in case he was listed.

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Here's a condensed version of the report:

With regard to your research into William TURNER who was born in Seaton Colliery in 1864, I have been unable to find his whereabouts in the 1911 census.  I have searched online at the following sites, without success:
•Ancestry
•Find My Past
•My Heritage
•The Genealogist
I searched for possible first and surname variants, again without success.
I did find a possible death entry where the age at death matched an approximate birth year of 1864, however when the certificate arrived it was in respect of a different William TURNER.  I also searched for a possible re-marriage of William TURNER after the birth of his youngest child.  Several marriages were located however when I looked for these couples in the 1911 census, none of them matched the birth year/place of your William TURNER.
I then moved on to searching the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for a possible death of your William TURNER in WW1.  I located an entry – which I believe you referred to when we met – in respect of a William TURNER who is shown as having been born in Rotherham and who served in the DLI.  I located his military record on the Ancestry website and after looking at this in detail, I do not believe he is your William TURNER.  Not only is his birth year different, but there is a letter in the record (copy attached) that shows his wife was E A TURNER.
As your nephew believes that William died in 1917, I have run a further search of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for all deaths of a W TURNER between 1 Jan 1917 and 1 Jan 1918.  There were numerous results, some of which show the age at death, some of which don’t.  Unfortunately, I have simply run out of time to look further at all of these however it may be worth your while looking at these if you have not already done so.  The link is as follows  https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?initial=w&lastName=turner&dateFrom=01-01-1917&dateTo=01-01-1918  If you click on each possible individual, you may often find mention of their grave and/or family members which may help you determine whether any of these are your William TURNER.  Alternatively, if no such information is given, if you find mention of the individuals’ regiments/soldier numbers, you could then – if you have a subscription to Ancestry or Find My Past it may – search for the individuals’ military records on there in order to try and determine whether any of them is your William.
The above concludes your TURNER research.  I appreciate how disappointing it will be to you that I have not solved your mystery as to William’s whereabouts in the 1911 census or his death information.  All I could now suggest is for you to look for the marriage entries in respect of William & Martha’s children and see whether it shows whether William was deceased at that time; this would help narrow down when he died.  There is, of course, no guarantee that the entry would indicate whether he was deceased.

On my Grandfather's Marriage certificate 1928 he has stated fathers occupation as Miner rather than saying Deceased so I'm not its worth paying for further Marriage certs for the above
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
All I could now suggest is for you to look for the marriage entries in respect of William & Martha’s children and see whether it shows whether William was deceased at that time; this would help narrow down when he died.  There is, of course, no guarantee that the entry would indicate whether he was deceased.

Have you done this, if so what did you find

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I did find a possible death entry where the age at death matched an approximate birth year of 1864, however when the certificate arrived it was in respect of a different William TURNER.

That deals with the death I mentioned in reply #1
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
All I could now suggest is for you to look for the marriage entries in respect of William & Martha’s children and see whether it shows whether William was deceased at that time; this would help narrow down when he died.  There is, of course, no guarantee that the entry would indicate whether he was deceased.

Have you done this, if so what did you find

Just put this above as you were posting
On my Grandfather's Marriage certificate 1928 he has stated fathers occupation as Miner rather than saying Deceased so I'm not sure its worth paying for further Marriage certs for the above

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
And I would have to find out who John George Turner married
I have found a possibility
John G Turner (m) Christina P D Hamilton 1929 Lanchester 10a 511 1st Qtr
But ive really no idea who he married

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I only got the report two days ago as well Rosie so haven't had time to order certs