Author Topic: Great Grandfather died in WW1 im starting to think not  (Read 31288 times)

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandfather died in WW1 im starting to think not
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Please don't leave us up in the air - as Jen said, we've put a lot of time into this and it would be nice to know what happened. If you don't want to put it on a public thread you can send all those who helped here a joint PM.
I am meeting with him next week so shall give you all an update then.
There's just a few things I need to clear up with him before publishing  :D
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
As someone who has been watching this thread, and enjoying the adventure of getting to have some knowledge of your family please don't forget to tell us how it goes.

I can understand if some on here get annoyed that there was a previous thread, albeit 4 years ago, and some research is duplicated. It was interesting to read the other thread and see what a difference four years makes to what help is found.

Please let us all know how it goes with William Peverall Turner's grandson. It gives us hope that our brick walls will one day fall.

Also how did you find him?
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
As someone who has been watching this thread, and enjoying the adventure of getting to have some knowledge of your family please don't forget to tell us how it goes.

I can understand if some on here get annoyed that there was a previous thread, albeit 4 years ago, and some research is duplicated. It was interesting to read the other thread and see what a difference four years makes to what help is found.

Please let us all know how it goes with William Peverall Turner's grandson. It gives us hope that our brick walls will one day fall.

Also how did you find him?

Yes it would have been nice to have had a private message enquiring about the previous thread rather than posting on here and making me look like a plonker.
But as you say a lot of new information did surface this time around and I had forgot about that previous thread. Having had a brain tumour removed my memory is not what it was.
When William Peverall Turner was found it allowed me to trace a living relative through Ancestry. William Peverall Turner Grandson. I got in touch and he has quite a lot of info on his Great Uncle.
I just need to make sure we are singing from the same Hymn Sheet before definatly saying what happened.
I will in due course let folks know what happened.
I have just recieved John George and Emma Turner birth certs as well so gonna see what info that gives

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
When William Peverall Turner was found it allowed me to trace a living relative through Ancestry. William Peverall Turner Grandson. I got in touch and he has quite a lot of info on his Great Uncle.

Rather than having to read back 21 pages - is his great uncle the mysterious William who is supposed to have died in WW1?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes it would have been nice to have had a private message enquiring about the previous thread rather than posting on here and making me look like a plonker.

I apologise that you feel I have made you look like a 'plonker'.
It wasn't my intention. I am not that sort of person.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »

Rather than having to read back 21 pages - is his great uncle the mysterious William who is supposed to have died in WW1?

Yes that  William Turner 🖒

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, do let us know. I too have been following this thread with interest.  :)

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
John George Turner last born child of William and Martha
Address given for birth is 5 Dene Row, Hamsterly Colliery, Medomsley, Durham. 25th July 1907 father William Turner miner and Martha Isabella Turner.
I talked to Wiiliam P Turner's Grandson again tonight and he just gave same info I already know about the wrong solider my father thought was my William Turner. So still no further forward. 
I have gone through all the burial records for the cemeteries around that area and nothing at all.
Perhaps he was buried in a paupers grave and not registered.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he was buried in a paupers grave and not registered.

Even if it was a pauper's grave he must have been registered as you need that before a burial or cremation, especially as we are talking about the 1900s.

I still think he left the family and perhaps changed his name, so is buried using that name and that is why he can't be found. If he is supposed to have died in 1915 why can't he be found in 1911 and why does she say she is a widow? It just doesn't add up.

Unfortunately re John's birth certificate naming him as father that doesn't mean 100% that he was. If a woman was married, her husband was assumed to be the father, whether he was or not. There have been lots of cases, especially during war time, when men were away fighting at the time the baby was conceived, yet were down as father on the certificate. Could that be why the marriage broke up - she had a baby by another man? I suppose that is where a DNA test would come in handy.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk