Author Topic: 1918 Ohio Marriage Record 'corrected'  (Read 514 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1918 Ohio Marriage Record 'corrected'
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1918 Lloyd H Nunamaker married Helen Thomson in Cuyahoga, Ohio.  The marriage entry has a hand-written note at the side, which I read as "Oct 11 1918 N(?) Court, Record ordered corrected - name of Lloyd H Nunamaker to Lloyd H Flick".

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l5g/

The 1900 census shows him as Lloyd H Nunamaker aged 4, and there is a marriage on 6 Sep 1895 between Howard Nunamaker & Rose Stoerkel.

On 8 Nov 1905, Rose Nunamaker married Charles H Flick, and Lloyd is with them in the 1910 census as LLoyd H Flick.   

In 1914 - as Nunamaker - he married Ethel Schwab, apparently divorcing in 1917. 

As the only time he is referred to as Flick is in the 1910 census I'm mystified as to why the 1918 marriage would require 'correcting'.  Any ideas?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Ohio Marriage Record 'corrected'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Is this him as Flick in the WWI draft registration card?  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-91D4-96VP?i=2725&cc=1968530  Maybe he was opting to go by Flick then.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
There are city directories from Akron in 1911-1913 and Cleveland in 1914-1917 that list Lloyd H. Flick.  Then there are entries for Lloyd H. Nunamaker in Ashtabula in 1921 and Cleveland in 1922 and 1925.  Maybe he switched back to Nunamaker due to a falling out with the Flicks or inspired by the birth of his son or something.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I must have missed that WW1 draft registration, although I saw that the WW2 one was as Nunamaker.  I also hadn't seen the area directories, so it's interesting that he was using Flick whilst married to Ethel. 

Lloyd is only on the edges of my tree - Ethel is my relative - but perhaps she was confused by the different surnames too, as when she remarried she used her mother's second husband's surname (her mother was by then married for a 3rd time).

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.