Author Topic: Magilligan / Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland Families  (Read 4055 times)

Offline floxxie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Magilligan / Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland Families
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching and writing a dissertation on the above and would appreciate help from people who are tracing their lines in Magilligan which was also known as Tamlaghtard.

I am looking for information concerning the Church of Ireland members in this area who can be found on the 1831 Irish census. I shall be attempting to identify their (English) origins and build up family trees for up to 1871.

If you are interested in helping, could you please send me a PM and let me know what the family name is/are that you are researching.

Thank you  :)
Kennard, White, Hewitt, Noverre - London & Middlesex
Pegrum - all

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Magilligan / Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland Families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Unless material is of a sensitive nature (living people, personal details, etc.) then it's best to post on the boards so that everyone can see what's been talked about. Lots of people respond to topics here on Rootschat via search engines such as Google (and they don't pick up PMs).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
floxxie -
I am researching the SHANNON family of Derrybeg-Limavady-Coleraine and the associated spouses.Some of the Shannon's are attached to MOODY, WILSON, COCHRAN/E, HOPKINS AND MOORE. All of these names are associated with the area you are researching. The Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland is very, very thin on the ground in my data however Magilligan [district] appears frequently.
I am more than happy to help you fill in some gaps with some of the above names. Aghadowie and Kingerswell on this forum are a font of knowledge of Northern Ireland.
Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline floxxie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Unless material is of a sensitive nature (living people, personal details, etc.) then it's best to post on the boards so that everyone can see what's been talked about. Lots of people respond to topics here on Rootschat via search engines such as Google (and they don't pick up PMs).

That's not a problem and I shall certainly post the names.
Pegrum - all

Offline floxxie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
floxxie -
I am researching the SHANNON family of Derrybeg-Limavady-Coleraine and the associated spouses.Some of the Shannon's are attached to MOODY, WILSON, COCHRAN/E, HOPKINS AND MOORE. All of these names are associated with the area you are researching. The Tamlaghtard Church of Ireland is very, very thin on the ground in my data however Magilligan [district] appears frequently.
I am more than happy to help you fill in some gaps with some of the above names. Aghadowie and Kingerswell on this forum are a font of knowledge of Northern Ireland.
Cheers
Jack Gee

Thanks Jack.
Pegrum - all

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Tamlaghtard parish records survive back to 1746 and are available on microfilm in PRONI and Portrush Library. They are also indexed on the Causeway Coast & Glens FHS website (members only access).

Offline floxxie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Tamlaghtard parish records survive back to 1746 and are available on microfilm in PRONI and Portrush Library. They are also indexed on the Causeway Coast & Glens FHS website (members only access).

Thank you. I have access to these.

Pegrum - all

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Also a Rootschatter JulesLeeke has connections with that church - I have sent him a PM

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Floxxie
I've done a significant amount of research on the Leek family of Tamlaghtard and have them living in Macosquin on the Hearth Money Rolls of Charles ll's reign following the Cromwellian settlement. I haven't been able to find their origins in England but there is no apparent records of them in the area in Plantation times,  so presumably the name arrived with the task force (New Model Army?) to quell the Irish Rebellion.
I'm very keen to dust of my old genealogy records and assist with your research, and look forward to possibly learning something new about the Leeks.
Julian