Author Topic: McTIMLEY, McTIMONEY, help with Irish/Antrim records, please  (Read 2029 times)

guest259648

McTIMLEY, McTIMONEY, help with Irish/Antrim records, please
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Please help me find the background of my Irish ancestor JOHN McTIMONEY

The romantic & dramatic family legend says he had to flee from Ireland to England, and change his name.
I rather think he came over to England for financial reasons and, since he could not sign his name on his marriage certificate (and must have had quite an accent), nobody knew quite how to spell it.

His history remains a mystery. Can you shed any light?

McTIMONEY seems a made-up name. All the McTIMONEYS I can find, stem from this one man.

John's marriage certificate (1874, McTIMLEY, not McTimoney) states that his father is/was James McTIMLEY, a butcher, presumably in Northern Ireland.

The censuses state that John was born in Belfast.
He was definitely an accomplished shoe-maker.

John's DOB, according to the censuses, seems to be about 1834, however my mother remembered him from her childhood and he seemed to her an old man, with a shock of white hair, older than 66 when he died.

Some years ago a researcher believed she had found him recorded as a cobbler in Northampton (Trade Directory? Northampton had a big boot & shoe industry), but I cannot now locate the record.

Where was John in 1841? and 1851? and 1861? (After that he was in Birmingham).
When did he come over to England (or Scotland?), and how?
Who was James McTimley, butcher? And who was John's mother?

And why and how did the name change to McTimoney, which it has remained?

Thank you for all suggestions. :-)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McTIMLEY, McTIMONEY, help with Irish/Antrim records, please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Drop the Mc, which happened a lot in Ireland and there are some possible variants.
Timiney
Timmoney
Timney
Timley
When Irish Genealogy have added all death cert images (should be before the end of 2018) you may be able to find the butcher's death.
In the mean time you can have a look for other name variants here, a death, or possible a marriage of a sibling.
I searched using Mi*ey
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Offline Rosie Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann, for your thoughts and the very useful link.

Irish surnames from the 19th century seem to have many more variations in spelling than the names of my English ancestors. Is this still the case, in modern times?

It's interesting that 'McTimoney' seems to have become a fixed spelling for this family, now they are England-based.

Rosie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
That particular name does appear to have a few possible variations but I'm not aware names in Ireland have more or less variation than any where else.
Like every where spelling has become standardized over the years.

The marriage certs available to view on that site at the moment may not be early enough to find a sibling John, again they should all be available before the end of 2018.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps McTimoney evolved from the surname McAtamney (which is found in Belfast).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosie Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
McAtamney - yes, I can well imagine this could have evolved into McTim(o)ney... good idea of yours.
Is McAtamney very local to Belfast?
Does it have a translation/meaning?

Following Sinann's suggestion I have been exploring using the wildcard ** and have found quite a large number of variations (many of which may be mis-readings/mis-hearings) including
McTimney
McTimley (the N being mis-heard for an L?)
McTimminey
McTimmoney
McTimny
McTamney

...however, what's significant is that the folk from Ireland with this name (& variations) who've come over to England in the 19th century are concentrated in a only very few areas. I've found Durham (coal mines?), Carlisle (stop-off point?), one in Glasgow, and then just my own branch of the family, originally in Birmingham (founder John McTimoney 1834 - 1901), which has now spread out a little (Darlington/Stockton, Banbury, Isle of Wight).

A member of my branch founded the "McTimoney technique", used in complementary medicine.

No sign yet of any JAMES MCTIMONEY/MCTIMLEY, butcher, who 'my' John gave as his father.

Are there any Belfast Directories which might be consulted, from the early 19th century? A butcher would definitely have advertised his trade?

Rosie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 December 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Belfast queries belong on the ANTRIM board (just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this thread to be moved there) and at the top of that board is a child board called ANTRIM RESOURCES & OFFERS. I'm no longer able to add or update the topics there but under directories you'll see listings for various ones online. However, those for early 1800s probably won't list every tradesperson in Belfast.
Also some directories here- http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/

In this 1843 directory 'butchers' listed under fleshers-
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/1843TRADESP.htm

guest259648

Look-up assistance for McTamney McAtamney Belfast c.1790 - 1840
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 21 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this is in the wrong place.(Please redirect me.)

Seeking look-up assistance in any relevant records for:
McTamney, McAtamney or other plausible spellings.
Period: 1790 - 1840 (at a guess).

Trying to locate the birth and marriage and any other children of a James McTamney who was old enough to have had a son John McTamney in circa 1835 in Belfast. At one stage in his life James worked as a butcher.

I've tried all the directories I can find online, but have found nothing useful.
I have no access to any church records, nor any knowledge of which type of records might be a fair replacement for what is missing.

Thank you. Please teach me.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up assistance for McTamney McAtamney Belfast c.1790 - 1840
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
They were likely Catholic? if so, many parish registers are online (free) although some might not start early enough for your search-
https://registers.nli.ie

Which Ballymoney? there are several in County Antrim alone.