Author Topic: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?  (Read 1066 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
    • Geograph
Re: RE; Question where to find ancestors buried
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
HI I read with interest your comments to the above query and wondered if you can point me in the direction of a website for finding ancestors burial.I only have their names and an idea they died before 1851 Census as they are on the 1841 Barony census but no trace of them after that,I hoped to input their name on site and maybe find a cemetery location.
If only life were that simple!

Most burials before the start of civil registration were not recorded.
Those that were recorded in the old parish registers are at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Some places, mainly larger towns, kept separate burial records. I refer you to my previous reply for such records in Glasgow.

There might be a gravestone, but only a small proportion of people had stones, and not all gravestones have been recorded. The Mitchell Library has copies of any published collections of inscriptions in Glasgow.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.