Author Topic: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: RE; Question where to find ancestors buried
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
HI I read with interest your comments to the above query and wondered if you can point me in the direction of a website for finding ancestors burial.I only have their names and an idea they died before 1851 Census as they are on the 1841 Barony census but no trace of them after that,I hoped to input their name on site and maybe find a cemetery location.
If only life were that simple!

Most burials before the start of civil registration were not recorded.
Those that were recorded in the old parish registers are at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Some places, mainly larger towns, kept separate burial records. I refer you to my previous reply for such records in Glasgow.

There might be a gravestone, but only a small proportion of people had stones, and not all gravestones have been recorded. The Mitchell Library has copies of any published collections of inscriptions in Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ian Seymour

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Trying to find the grave of my great grandfather and great aunt in sandymount
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 October 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there looking for some help to find a grave in sandymount cemetery In Glasgow , I have been up for 2 days now searching but can’t seem to find it at all the names are James Henderson died 1951 aged 54 and Mary wylie henderson aged 17 died 1942 both buried in lair number 2324 in section T of the cemetery, any help would be much appreciated