Author Topic: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline steven17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I contact Sandymount cemetery by email? SAmuel L. Stevenson is buried there (1933) in Lair#464. Trying to find some information about him. He lived on Cadogan Street in Glasgow.

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
What information are you looking for Steven
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
McCracken - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline steven17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather, Samuel Lindsay Stevenson (1854-1933) buried in Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow. I would like to contact the cemetery to find out if there was an obituary or other information about him. 1901 census puts his home as 76 Dalmarnoch Rd., Glasgow. I would like to know his parents and exactly where he was born. All I have is County Down in Ireland, abt 1854. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in NY, USA.

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look on  Scotlandspeople.gov.uk and search you will find the death record. There is a charge of £1.50 for each download and Scottish records show parents names which is a good help.
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline steven17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick response. I will follow up on that. I guess I'll have to visit the cemetery next time I'm in Glasgow.

Offline kall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Steven....not a bad price really. English ones a lot dearer lol
Forrest - Blantyre
McLellan - Dumfriesshire
Harkness - Dumfriesshire
Adamson - Dumfriesshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steven

Have a few spare credits to help you out.

Samuel Stevenson was a Engineers Timekeeper- widower of Janet Killens.

The parents names were William Stevenson - sewing machine work labourer and Eliza Stevenson - maiden surname Lindsay.  Informant was his son R K Stevenson 15 Cleveland Street Glasgow. (present)  Will attach certificate for you shortly.

The son would be Robert Killens Stevenson.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Death Certificate - Samuel Stevenson 1 January 1933 - Govan Road Glasgow - Usual residence - 25 Cleveland Street Glasgow. Aged 80 years.

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 December 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Can I contact Sandymount cemetery by email?
This cemetery comes under the City of Glasgow Council. Their web site says, "All genealogical enquiries can be dealt with through the Archive Section at the Mitchell Library, they can be contacted on 0141 287 2910 or at archives@glasgowlife.org.uk".

You won't get a lot of extra information about Samuel Stevenson himself from the burial record other than the date of burial as you already have the death certificate that *Sandra* has bought for you. However there may be information about other people buried in the same lair.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.