Author Topic: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 December 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Singer's Sewing Machines factory used to be in Bridgeton so Dalmarnock Road would be nearby, it later moved to a much bigger factory in Clydebank, I worked there myself for a time!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: How can I contact Sandymount cemetery in Glasgow, where my GGrandad is buried?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
1891 342 London Rd Glasgow Bridgeton Lanarkshire

Samuel Stevenson   37 Born Ireland.  Sewing Machine Tool Maker.
Janet Stevenson   35 Born Glasgow.
Christina Stevenson   13 Born Glasgow.
William Stevenson   11 Born Glasgow.
David Stevenson   6 Born Glasgow.
Margaret Stevenson   4 Born Glasgow.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
1881 376 London Road Back Land Glasgow Lanarkshire.

Samuel Stevenson   27 Born Ireland. Machine Iron.
Jannet Stevenson   25
Christina Stevenson   3
William Stevenson   1
William Bowman   27 Lodger.

Marriage - Samuel Stevenson and Janet Killens  - 1877 - 644/1 13 - Bridgeton

Anc tree has the birth of Samuel as 1854 Donaghadee, Down, Northern Ireland - no source

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 December 17 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Also bought the marriage certificate to see if that through any more light on things
According to the banns of the Congregationist Church

Sandra

Cert removed

Offline steven17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 December 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra and Skoosh for your wonderful replies. As you may know I am very new to RootsChat and am learning how to navigate the site. Is there some way I can contact either of you via email? I guess you both live in Scotland so telephone would be difficult. I am curious how you were able to find out this information and have access to it so quickly. Looking forward to your reply.
Bill  (*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I purchased the death and marriage certificates for you from Scotlands people. 

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

The census came from a subscription site.

The guidelines for posting advise us not to post our personal email addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers on the site because of scammers etc., so you will need to remove it.  You can contact anyone thru the personal message system - click on the name in the left hand margin which takes you to a new screen.  Under the name on the next screen it says "send pm" - this will take you to the next screen where you can send a private message.  Hope this helps.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Sandra

Offline steven17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 December 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I contacted RootsChat and asked them to remove the unwanted personal information, name and email. Hope that takes care of it.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 December 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
You can do it yourself in the first 24 hours of posting.  Just press the modify button on that post and then delete your email.  After 24 hours we don't have the option to modify.

Sandra

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RE; Question where to find ancestors buried
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 December 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Can I contact Sandymount cemetery by email?
This cemetery comes under the City of Glasgow Council. Their web site says, "All genealogical enquiries can be dealt with through the Archive Section at the Mitchell Library, they can be contacted on 0141 287 2910 or at archives@glasgowlife.org.uk".

You won't get a lot of extra information about Samuel Stevenson himself from the burial record other than the date of burial as you already have the death certificate that *Sandra* has bought for you. However there may be information about other people buried in the same lair.

HI I read with interest your comments to the above query and wondered if you can point me in the direction of a website for finding ancestors burial.I only have their names and an idea they died before 1851 Census as they are on the 1841 Barony census but no trace of them after that,I hoped to input their name on site and maybe find a cemetery location.Any ideas you might have gratefully appreciated,,thanks a bunch

Kind regards Janeygee :)