Author Topic: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details  (Read 1934 times)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

Can anyone help me find out the details of his death [date & place]. He married Mary Ann Burdall in Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire on 28 Oct 1830, & probably died between 1851 [he is recorded in the English Census in Spalding with his mother & daughter Jemima] & 28 May 1855 when his 2nd wife [Mary Ann Burdall] married Isaac Gill [presuming John Dolby died before this]. He was consistently
in all the documents I have seen working as a Hairdresser [except in the 1851 English Census]

If anyone knows anything that can help I would be very grateful

Michael

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Is he the 1852 death on freebmd?

EDIT - no - he was only 20
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dolby [aka Dalby] born about 1807 in Spalding, Lincolnshire - death details
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
There is only one John DOLBY in Spalding  of the right age - in 1851 and 1861 born Spalding, 1871 and 1881 born Empingham, Rutland.  He died in 1883.

I see Mary Ann married in London ... where was she in 1851?
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geoff

Thanks for your interest in my pedigree problem. I do not know where Mary Ann was in 1851 despite some searching

Please see my 'Arthur Dolby Martin Family Tree' on ancestry.co.uk if you have access for my most recent ideas on John Dolby. My print out of his details is unfortunately too large a file for Rootschat attachments

Do see what you make of it. Any ideas are most welcome. If you are unable to get onto ancestry.co.uk please get back to me & I will try to condense some of his info

Kind regards

Michael

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm not on Ancestry ... I see that daughter Jemima married in 1860 to the MARTIN Tripe Dresser (1881 census)

That would explain the MARTIN in the name of your family tree. :)

You mention that John DOLBY was a Hairdresser  - but not in 1851 - by which time he may have been in a family horticultural business ... later to become a spud merchant?  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 December 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geoff

Thanks for getting back to me. John Dolby's parents were both gardeners & while he was staying with his mother she may have filled in the 1851 Census return on his behalf. On his daughter Mary Jane's wedding cert with Edmund Steinle on 17 Feb 1856 in Bermondsey, South London, it says her father is/was a hairdresser [unknown whether alive or dead]. Also on daughter Jemma's wedding cert with William Martin on 3 May 1860 in Newington, South London, it says her father is/was a hairdresser [unknown whether alive or dead]. I have other documentary proof of this occupation dated 1829, 1831 & 1841-Census. Another thing is whether he might have been divorced rather than died prior to his wife Mary Ann marrying Isaac Gill in 28 May 1855 in the City of London

What do you think?

Kind regards

Michael

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 17 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Geoff

Further info on J.D. His father is George Dolby [1766-1844] & mother Alice [aka Allis] Benson [1770-1857]. His 1st wife was Elizabeth Measures [1808-1829], marriage 1 May 1828 in Spalding. His kids with Mary Ann [1815-unknown] were John Burdall [1831-1852], Mary Jane [1834-1910], Jemima [1838-1927] & Albert [1840-unknown]. J.D. also had a son with E.M. John Dolby [1829-unknown]. John Burdall Dolby is known only as John Dolby except in his baptism details

Hope this helps a bit

Kind regards

Michael

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 December 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
May be worth looking in USA

Lincolnshire newspapers have reports of several court cases involving a John Dolby, barber of Spalding, where his landlord took action to recover arrears of rent and then possession, in 1849/50.
In one of the cases it was reported that John Dolby  had absconded to Lincoln

In February 1854 there is a report of a group of Spalding residents, including a John Dolby, going to America but the ship being wrecked and returned to Liverpool.

Immigration records show a John Dolby, aged 48 barber, arriving in New York in April 1854 from Liverpool.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Thanks for your in depth info about the criminal cases & trip to New York. I think one can be fairly sure of it being 'my' John Dolby. I have tried superficially to look in the USA but so far no joy. Interestingly [1] his youngest son Albert moved to USA at some point as he married an Elizabeth Woodburn Gray on 26 Feb 1902 in Manhattan [see FS - NYC/USA records]. His age is wrong [should be 62y] but his father & mother & place of birth is correct, & [2] his by that time married eldest daughter [Mary Jane Steinle] emigrated with her husband & 2 children to Manhattan in NYC/USA in early 1866 & [3] John Burdall Dolby [1831-1852] by Mary Ann Burdall, was a criminal/prisoner in the 1y before his death in the workhouse

Do tell me what you think of this info, plus any further research & ideas of yours

Kind regards

Michael