Author Topic: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 December 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

I was a bit confused by the fact that Sarah was the Grandmother of two boys and she was the informant.  They are the children of Harriett Ann and Mark.   This connects up a number of dots.  also those two BAPTISMS. not known about before. 

Got all the BMD's for both boys and one for the next generation of one of them. If all of this is good then my William is their Uncle. 

Re the Sarah Litchfield comment on numbers  - when I tried to find her on UK records there were lots, from all over the country. And no but some did.

Re the Vet etc on someoneles's site tree - I don't know how true that is yet. I don't take trees forgranted.  I have found 'A'  Robert Holmes in Ireland with land leased from Viscount Lismore and that Shanbally House was also mentioned. I also looked up Applotment Books and the lease recs.  All great info    .. If.... and only if this was the right person.  I have also looked into Shanbally House History hoping there would be a record of the persons living there.  No joy. Shanbally Castle was built by the Lismore Counts. It has been demolished ... sadly.

Yes. The owners the O'Callallaghan's were Irish but had titles. The First one was a Baron and his son was the 1st Viscount Lismore. Shanbally House was I believe also built by them on part of the estate.

I did this purely out of interest in the buildings and what possible link there might have been.
it didn't prove any parentage.  Just info re "a person of interest".

I also found more Holmes in the area and as you say... looks like they were well and truely settled in. That fact led me to look at another scenario.  I'll pm you with all of that for your perusal.

lat e her or rather early am like 2.00 am.

Essnell.    thank you. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 December 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I too read up about Viscount Lismore hoping that he may have property in London re employment for Robert but I read that they were Irish.
The Holmes in the area, if I recall are a Jeremiah, Ellen and family who are Catholic.
Grandmother Sarah would be present at the births so perhaps natural to inform which is extra info for you  :)
If I recall too, the witnesses to the Holmes marriage were also Holmes but I would imagine it might be difficult to make connections.
I am inclined to the belief that they were English and seeking employment perhaps but it is still not really proven that they are the same family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is Mark Gilbert in 1911. I can’t see him in 1901.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003158808/

He was born in England as a point of interest.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 December 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Not surprising that Mark Gilbert was born in England.  It was all one counry then and a trip across to Ireland from Liverpool - not such a big deal.  People went the other way as well. 

Just makes this all the more challenging.     I have not followed him up as yet - followed the two boys and got BMD's for them. Just recs for interest.  They look suspiciously like relatives - even the names.

Still chasing William  who is said to have been born at Shanbally/ Shanbally House 1844 or 1850.

Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I just mentioned Mark Gilbert being English to show that there is a strong possibility that the Holmes family were English, albeit that William was born in Tipperary.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 December 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, 

Yes I know.    A possibility.    No one here seems to have suggested that.

See what else comes in over time. 

Have just written to two FHL centres in Ireland. Only way to get to them and that will take ages. 
Seems that this area Clogheen,has been wriggled in and out of the sections of Tipperary over time so it gets awkward knowing which to contact for what.   and because it is all pre 1864 it is not online now.

Best thing is I know a whole lot more now than when I posted ...Thanks a million.

if and or when I hear anything I'll let you know.  Still have that pm to send.

cheers Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 December 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it is something to bear in mind but without other supporting evidence it is difficult for you.
All good wishes
Heywood

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Been a while since posting here.  I have contacted several archives and FHS groups in Ireland.

Firstly William is born pre 1864 and the online recs for earlier dates don't yet exist.

Secondly I'm up against it with the religious divisions of records and those between north and south as well as North and South Tipperary and County Cork - so I keep getting replies that send me off elsewhere. Latest is to go talk to one  that I  have already asked with a blank result -at least they did try before replying.

Thirdly  I am waiting on information  re Harriet Ann Holmes and Mark Gilbert.  Their grave I have traced online at Shanbally Graveyard. A Robert and Sarah Holmes are also interred in this grave - no details.

Cheers

Essnell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I have just had a read over again and can’t offer any more. I am still inclined to think that your Holmes were English and moved to Ireland.
It is worth keeping a note of until anything further is found.

Heywood