Author Topic: Blitz: the bombs that changed Britain BBC2  (Read 2871 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Blitz: the bombs that changed Britain BBC2
« on: Friday 08 December 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else been watching this fascinating programme?

Last week letters were shown written by Hull schoolchildren at the time and used for a particular wartime survey.

It was mentioned that Birmingham schoolchildren were also asked to write about the bombing for the same project. Where would these letters be stored and would there be a bomb map for Birmingham as there was for Hull?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blitz: the bombs that changed Britain BBC2
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I can't answer your question I'm afraid but I am also really enjoying this series.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The letters might be at the county archives;  can you watch the programme again on iPlayer and see if it is mentioned where the letters are?

Bomb maps might be held at the archives as well; a phone call or email might give you the answer.

http://libraryofbirmingham.com/archives
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I've not been watching the programme so I didn't know about the letters, but I do have lots of photos of Hull taken during the war, including bombed areas.  I got them from Hull Archives being interested in Hull as my paternal grandparents came from there.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
As I grew up in Hull, I watched it with interest and wondered why some of the letters written by Hull schoolchildren were kept at Norwich University, they were part of a study I believe...This might be of interest:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birminghams-second-world-war-evacuees-101944

You could try here.

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/familyhistory

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Youngtug, thank you for those links. There's so much to take in. To see these photos, which I've never seen before, is very moving.

Luckily I was born in June 1945 so escaped these horrors but my OH was born January 1940 and he was apparently frequently taken down into the shelter in a washing basket.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Treetotal, I too wondered why these letters were stored at the university. What an amazing programme it was. I loved the letter where the little boy said he was going to give Hitler a punch / biff on his chin, along with all those other Nazis. Can't remember the exact wording but it made me laugh.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I watched the programme on Hull as I'm from there. It was very interesting and opened my eyes to the horror of going through that night after night. We don't know how lucky we are these days - we should make programmes like this compulsory viewing for schoolchildren today.

I stupidly thought the bombs had fallen only on Hull Docks, not far from where my mother and grandparents lived at the time. I had no idea bombs had fallen on the outskirts of Hull - 6th Avenue isn't so far from where I was brought up, though I was born after the war. It really brings it home to you when the locations are places you know pretty well.

I recorded last night's programme, which I think was about Glasgow.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.