Author Topic: Railway Death  (Read 2691 times)

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Death
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 December 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who died from a fall while working for Glasgow & South western railway in 1916. Many failed attempts before finding his records and am afraid a can't offer any help but might be wort trying this site its fairly new and ongoing project but they respond to email or twitter fairly quick.

http://www.railwayaccidents.port.ac.uk/
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I would think it is unlikely that there was an FAI if there is no RCE attached to register entry. It may be that there was nothing really to look into/nothing in the public interest, so there was no need for an inquiry :( .
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I would think it is unlikely that there was an FAI if there is no RCE attached to register entry. It may be that there was nothing really to look into/nothing in the public interest, so there was no need for an inquiry :( .

I would agree.

Looking at the details provided this death does NOT appear to be employment related - possibly he was taking a shortcut home or to work across the rail line. Secondly, there is no RCE because the circumstances have been reported by the PF therefore there is no earlier report to correct.

Normally the family/next of kin etc  will report the death to the Registrar and upon completion of any Sudden Death Inquiry the PF sends further information to the Registrar correcting or adding to the initial reports - it is this amended information which is recorded in any entry in the Register of Corrected Entries. In this case as the Informant of the death is recorded as the PF it would appear that no family or next of kin made any initial report.

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Glasgow Herald -  31 Oct 1916

James Dallas, a machineman, who resided at 13, Anderson St., Kinning Park, was found dead last night on the up passenger main line between Moorepark Junction and Govan Railway Station. Dallas who was employed in the Howden Boiler Works, Helen St., Govan, was seen leaving his work, and some time later his body was found lying on the line. Shunting operations were in progress at the time, and it is conjectured that Dallas was endeavouring to cross between the tracks when he was knocked down.

Page 5, column 4

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 December 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, many thanks. I looked up the exact spot the report describes and it turns out I used to work on that site, long after it was a shunting yard. Amazing how often my path has crossed with my ancestors.
Mills, Dallas, Stewart, McCulloch,

Offline amytiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 February 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I found this thread in hopes of finding out more about James Dallas while doing family history research - he was the first husband of my great-grandma, so I'm not directly related.

Just wanted to say thanks for the newspaper clipping, it's very insightful.

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 February 20 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Would that have been Joanna Ellis Murray?

James was my grans uncle, so my gt gt uncle.

Offline amytiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Would that have been Joanna Ellis Murray?

James was my grans uncle, so my gt gt uncle.

That's right! Her daughter Irene was my grandmother. My family tree so far is on ancestry, if you'd like to PM me I could send a link. Afraid I don't personally have any more information about him, but if I do find any I'll let you know :)

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 February 20 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Sent you a message