Author Topic: war widow  (Read 568 times)

Offline newburychap

  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,931
    • View Profile
    • West Berkshire War Memorials
Re: war widow
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
As well as the war gratuity she would be entitled to a pension - for herself and any children under 16.  The amount depended on the rank of the deceased soldier.
13/9 a week for a Private's widow.
For a first child ..............5/0
For a second child. . . . . .4/2
For a third child ..............3/4
For each child after the third . .2/6

98% of the records were destroyed the National Archives hold the remaining 2%. 

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:
 Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.