Author Topic: Bachelor in Kent help please  (Read 5442 times)

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bachelor in Kent help please
« on: Tuesday 26 July 05 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi to all

I found a marriage on free BDM for Edward Bateup to Ann Bachelor 1850.

I am trying to find details on Ann.  I found her birth on Family search at Brenchley 1827 Mother Sophia Bachelor but no father.

In 1871 census it says she was 42 so born in 1829 in Brenchley.  I have been told to take no notice of years if they only a couple of years out.

Do you think I have the right Ann and would it be worth someone looking up 1841 census to see if she is with her mother.  (presumably born out of wedlock?)  As she got married in 1850 the 1851 census would show her with Edward.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sue.
researching Bateup & Butchers from Mountfield, Sussex & Horsemonden, Kent.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bachelor in Kent help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

If you have the birth certificate for one of Edward & Ann's children to confirm that Ann's maiden name was BACHELOR then I would assume that the marriage is probably the correct one.  The marriage certificate may also give some other small clue to confirm her origins as may the 1861 and 1851 census if you don't have them already.

Do post the 1871 details for the whole family ie. names/ages/birthplaces/residence etc. if you would like somebody to look them up in earlier census - quite a lot could have happened in the 30 years between 1841 and 1871 ;)

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Here's the 1851 census entry for Edward and Ann:
ref HO107 1615 folio 414: Isle of Wight Cottages, Brenchley
Edward Batup head mar age 28 ag lab born Sussex Mayfield
Ann do wife mar age 24 born Brenchley
James Batchelor son-in-law age 1 born Brenchley

FamilySearch has the marriage date as 2nd March 1850, and Edward's name as Batcup. So that's three variations in  the spelling already. I've had a look through the 1841 Brenchley census, but can't seem to find Sophia or Ann. Chances are that Sophia had probably married by then anyway, so would need to know what name to look for.
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 05 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi and Carol.

Thank your for helping me. :) :)

This is the 1861 census

RG9 496 27 20

Castle Hill Brenchley Kent
Edward Batup head 40 ag lab Sussex Mayfield
Ann wife 33 Brenchley
James son 11 ag lab Brenchley
William son 6 Brenchley
Charity dau 3 Brenchley
Alfred son 2 Yalding
Edwin son 3 months Brenchley.

As the 1851 census carol found states James Bachelor son-in-law age 1 it probably should be step son.

I looked up in family search for James Bachelor and found he was b. Sep 1849 Brenchley with a mother Ann Bachelor.

So maybe James was born out of wedlock.  I cannot find any details on him at all.  He is with the family in the 1871 census but he is not the 1881 census under name of Bachelor or Bateup.

The only other thing I found in family search was
Sophia Bachelor married Henry Baker 1832 Tonbridge Kent.
but this might not be the right sophia.

Would it be worth while looking in 1841 census and see if Ann bachelor is with Sophia and Henry.  The problem there is I do not know where they were born.

Thank you again for helping me.

Regard
Sue

p.s.  I have noticed the Bateup name changes everytime I look somethink up.

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I've had a look through the 1841 census for Tonbridge, but haven't been able to find either Ann Batchelor, or Henry and Sophia Baker. There are a lot of Batchelor families in and around the Tonbridge area, but I couldn't find Ann aged about 14. Maybe you could try and find Henry and Sophia on the 1861 census and then work backwards, as you'd have a date and place of birth for them then.

xx Carol.
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I've found a 14 year old Anne Batchelor living in Westerham in 1841, probably not the right one, but thought I'd post details anyway:
ref HO107 485-14 folio 20: Hosey Hill, Westerham
Sarah Finness age 85 ind born in county
Anne Batchelor age 14 not born in county
Harriett Elgy age 15 F S born in county

I would imagine this Anne is a servant, but it does not say on the census.
xx Carol

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 August 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi carol.

I found another birth for Sophia Bachelor b.Jan 1801 Brenchley.

Her parents were. Isaac Batchler wife Elizabeth Clark maried 6 Jan 1788 Brenchley.

They had several children.
Jemima b 1788
Isaac b 1792
Isaac b1794 (perhaps the first one died)
James b 1790
Elizabeth b 1797
Sophia b 1803
Ann b 1804

I found these on family search they were all born at Brenchley and Bachelor is spelled different with some of the children.

Would it be possible to see if this family is in 1841 census.  If Ann is not there maybe the other Ann you found might be the right one.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Sue

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 August 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I've checked through the 1841 census for Brenchley, the only Batchelors that I could find are:
ref HO107 456-16 folio 5: Crook, Brenchley
James Batchelor age 70 ag lab
Mary Batchelor age 65
both born in county

This James is too old to be Isaac's son, so that family either moved away, or died before the 1841 census. I'm afraid it's going to be very difficult trying to prove which Sophia Batchelor had a baby called Ann.
xx Carol

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi carol and thank you again.

This Sophia is driving me up the wall.  The only other thing I can think of if someone had parish records of Ann's birth but I do not know what details they show as I have not got back this far before.

The other thing I thought of was maybe Bachelor was Sophia married name and she lost her husband.  See now I am going batty.

I will order Ann's marriage certificate and see what details I can get from that if any.

I am not giving up just yet (I will not let her beat me)

Regards
Sue