Author Topic: New York Death Index 1880 - 1956  (Read 816 times)

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New York Death Index 1880 - 1956
« on: Friday 08 December 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have located a deceased relative within this index on Ancestry but without confirming info like his d.o.b, place of birth, mothers maiden name and spouse etc I cannot be sure if I have a match?

All that is recorded online is Arthur Neil 28th March 1918 Geneva (New York) and a number 16171.

Can anyone please tell me how / if I could locate these other details or obtain a copy death certificate.

Many thanks

Neil

P.s My earlier post is now closed but I do not know how to remove it from the active list if someone could also explain pls :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: New York Death Index 1880 - 1956
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
According to anc tree - Arthur Neil. Geneva, 29 March 1918 -  The death of Arthur Neil, of Hamilton street, occurred at his home this morning after suffering for several days as a result of a stroke of paralysis Mr. Nell was for a number of years employed in the Department of Vulic

parents - Henry Neil 1829 - 1901 and Jane Johnston 1829 - 1911 - Arthur born 1851  Derrylin, Fermanagh, Ireland.

Have you marked your previous post "completed"  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Geneva Daily Times - 29 March 1918

Arthur. Neil.
The death of Arthur \Neff Of 108 Hamilton street occurred at his home this morning at 9:45 o'clock after suffering a. stroke of paralysis. Besides his widow ha leaves three daughters, Miss Elisabeth Nell of Roselle Park, N. J., Mrs. C. E. Roberson and Mrs. Neil T Nerva of Geneva; four brothers, George Neil of Geneva, William Nell of Los Angeles California. James and Henry Neil of Dublin. Ireland. One sister. Miss. Fanny Neil of Dublin. Funeral announcement later.

Geneva Daily Times - 26 October 1918

Arthur Neil, late of Geneva, left $2424.34. His. debts, t o g e t h e r with commissions and expenses were $603.00, leaving a balance of $1,820,§4, to be divided as follows; Elizabeth- Nell, widow, of Geneva. $733.<?9; Elisabeth Neil and Emma Lerch of Geneva and Margaret Nell Robertson of Romulus, daughters, $362.39 each.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Just in case this is the family you are researching - Geneva Daily Times - 15 May 1908

A very pretty wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Nei lof No. 105 Hamilton street yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock when their  daughter, Miss Margaret Neil, and Charles Ernest Roberson, son of Mr. and Mrs. John T. Roberson of West Fayette, were united. Rev. C. M. Sills,
D. D. performed the ceremony in the presence of a number of the relatives.
Miss Elizabeth Neil, a sister of the bride, and the groom's cousin, Harry Van Duyne of West
Fayette, attended the couple. After a wedding supper was served, Mr and Mrs. Roberson left on an evening train for New York and Waterbury, Conn. On their return they will reside at West Fayette.

Sandra

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra

Unfortunately it would appear that this chap is not a relation :(

The Arthur Charles Neil I am looking for appears to have married Maebella L Black in West Orange New Jersey on 21st August 1911 according to Episcopal Diocese of Newark; Newark, New Jersey; New Jersey, Episcopal Diocese of Newark Church Records, 1800 - 1970.... then the trail goes cold.

You couldn't work some of your investigative magic on this trail could you please :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
What year was your Arthur born ? Parents names ? Any siblings ?

Sandra

Added - Scratch that message - I can see the marriage -

For others searching - parents - George Neil Mother Mary De Voil - spouse Maebella L. Black

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
ACN was born in London in April 1885

Father George Neil
Mother Mary Chandler but I can see where Devoil comes from, her 2nd marriage.

Siblings according to 1901 UK census:
George William Neil b. July 1882 London
Florence Eliza Neil b. April 1879 London
Sidney Herbert Neil b. April 1893 Chadwell Heath Essex UK

As far as I am aware Arthur Charles was the only one that ever travelled to the US.

Fyi I have also located a US WW1 draft registration card for a Arthur Charles Neil takes place in Onondaga, New York, USA. Has a relative listed as Edna Lucile Neil but I have no one by that name on my tree and I think it's pretty complete for the Neil's, could be a red herring?

Thx

Neil

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I saw the draft - right month of birth - wrong year  - although it does say born England.; ::)

Sandra

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There is something about my relatives and their correct d.o.bs! If the marriage record to M Black is correct then it neglected to mention his previous marriage and children in the UK!