Author Topic: New York Death Index 1880 - 1956  (Read 820 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: New York Death Index 1880 - 1956
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
The date of birth on that WW1 draft matches - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 - Arthur C Neil - 23 April 1884 - Claim Date - 27 July 1955
Doesn't tell us what sort of claim - usually they say something like disability, death etc.,  ??? No idea where either  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
It would be a bit of shock if he died in 1955 because his 1st wife remarried in 1920 claiming to be a widow. Any suggestions how I can research Arthur further in US records? I mainly use ancestry worldwide subscription but occasionally have found slightly different view on findmypast. Do these companies have access to different datasets? If he was NewYork area for entire US life is there a better resource for that area? I see new records are being added all the time. Also is it possible to view / buy copy US death certs?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Whether or not you can buy the death certificate depends on the location and time frame.

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 December 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
and in this case how could I find out pls?

In UK there is 1 central office and you can now buy pdf copies emailed to you, very gd.

Also views on this appreciated please. I am new to family searches so your input experience would be useful, thx

I mainly use ancestry worldwide subscription but occasionally have found slightly different view on findmypast. Do these companies have access to different datasets? If he was NewYork area for entire US life is there a better resource for that area? I see new records are being added all the time. Also is it possible to view / buy copy US death certs?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 December 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
The US does not have one central office - if you want birth, marriage, or death records, they are going to available on a state or a more local level.  If you tell us where and when the death occurred, then we can figure out if you are able to order the certificate.  Some states restrict access to more recent records only to immediate family members. 

There is information available in various places, and not everything is online, but, of the big subscription sites, I think Ancestry has the best coverage of the US. 

Offline Neil365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 December 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

So can we delve into this somehow, assuming it's New Jersey?

The date of birth on that WW1 draft matches - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 - Arthur C Neil - 23 April 1883 - Claim Date - 27 July 1955
Doesn't tell us what sort of claim - usually they say something like disability, death etc.,

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Let's start with the basics before jumping to conclusions.

Do you have him on a passenger list coming to the US?  Sometimes, this will give helpful clues.

On the Social Security application, it looks like his date of birth was 23 Apr. 1884 rather than 1883.  So, it is probably him, but always a chance that it isn't.  Using the Social Security number given there and this site - https://www.stevemorse.org/ssn/ssn.html - the Social Security number was issued in New York from 1936-1950.  If nothing else pans out to rule him in or out, ordering the original Social Security application for a fee is an option, as explained in more detail here - https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2013/05/31/ordering-the-ss-5/

Do you have him in any census records?  Assuming this guy was in the US for at least part of the time from the WWI era to 1955, he should show up on the 1920, 1930, or 1940 census.  New York also has state census records from 1915 & 1925. 

If he traveled from/back to the US after his original arrival, he should show up in a passenger list.  If he was alive, in the US, and not in the military as of 1942, there should be a WWII draft registration card for him. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Yes, the WW1 Draft was 23 April 1883 and the Social Security application (1955) 23 April 1884 - that is not unusual at all - it happens quite often that these documents can be 1 year out.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada