Author Topic: Air accident Warren Point, Isle of Sheppey, Kent October 1940  (Read 4557 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Air accident Warren Point, Isle of Sheppey, Kent October 1940
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 December 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Searching for the exact phrase "John Alfred Martin" on ukpressonline.co.uk brings up just one hit: in the Kent Messenger for 9 November 1940, page 2. I don't currently subscribe so that's as far as I can go with it.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 December 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Shame - there are quite a few Kent newspapers on findmypast but not the Messenger.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all the information. Shaun I have joined and used the phrase John Alfred Martin, Kent Messenger and the date and I have 'no records found'

Contacted ukpressonline.co.uk

Thanks.

WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Re: Air accident Warren [ie WARDEN] Point, Isle of Sheppey, Kent October 1940
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 December 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi jim, That again is what I was told by someone also researching this chap. Yes it is WarDen Point. I made an error and tried to correct one of my posts, but it doesn't seem to have worked - ie carried forward.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »

have joined and used the phrase John Alfred Martin, Kent Messenger and the date and I have 'no records found'

Try just searching for the phrase "John Alfred Martin"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Something which appears to have been missed is WO. II (B.S.M.) J. A. Martin
http://kingston-bagpuize.com/war/martin.html

Battery Sergeant Major

1. Max and some of the other ex Army Military will be hotter on this than me, but does this mean he was attached to a Gun (or Gun Laying) Battery?

2. Burial looks to be at a Church, have you also checked the Churchyard / Parish Burial Register. Very occasionally they have extra words (above what IWGC / CWGC note in their records), like body from ___________ or found washed up at ____________ etc., or Abode might his Base or temporary residence.

The Church by 1940 were required to record the burial too.

Every record needs checking? Is it online anywhere and don't use full names.

-----------

Parish Burial Registers sometimes have additional snippets?

The Churchyard Sexton Book (if it survives) may say where the body was from?

Mark

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 December 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
The only unit information we have is given as 115 Field Regiment RA which was a regiment equipped with field guns that is those guns that were employed to support the infantry in the field as opposed to anti-aircraft, anti-tank, coast or mountain guns among others. As I suggested before, without seeing his record I would be wary of assuming he was on Sheppey with this regiment.  I find no evidence of field regiments on Sheppey which did have coast guns and AA guns.  The regiment was in the BEF and presumably he, but not the guns, were evacuated from France perhaps at Dunkirk.  He could well, as suggested earlier, been re-assigned to another regiment.

There are also problems with the bio information in the Kingston-Bagpuize piece.  If he joined the army in 1939, then he re-joined as he had signed on in 1922 (RA Attestation register).  He did not get two MIDs (or if he did they aren't both published) - the Dec 1940 LG reference is correct, an MID for "distinguished service in connection with operations in the field Mar-Jun 1940".
Again, as remarked before, apart from the title of this thread, nowhere does the fact that it was an air accident appear, not in the Kingston-B piece, not in the CWGC detail, not on his RA casualty card or in the attestation book.  There are, for me at least, too many loose ends and unless the Kent Messenger comes up with something concrete, I would say, again, that without his record then I would prefer to leave speculation to others.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 December 17 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun J

have joined and used the phrase John Alfred Martin, Kent Messenger and the date and I have 'no records found'

Try just searching for the phrase "John Alfred Martin"

Please see  that I used the phrase "John Alfred Martin" : I have used onoly the date: I have used only the year - but I still get as attached.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 December 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I can see that the attachment shows Kent Messenger (WW1) is there simply a  Kent Messenger or
 Kent Messenger(WW2) ?