Author Topic: Transcription of Will from 1798  (Read 1422 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription of Will from 1798
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 December 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I give unto my daughter Susanna Veal the sum
of five Guineas I give unto my daughter Elizabeth
Woolley the sum of five Guineas I give unto my
daughter Martha Withey the sum of five guineas
I give unto my daughter Sarah Withey the sum of
five Guineas all which several pecuniary Legacies
I order and direct to be paid within twelve months
next after my decease by my Executors hereinafter
named I give devise and bequeath unto my son George
Withey his Executor administrators and assigns all
that my Messuage or Tenement wherein I now live
with the yard workshops with its appurtenances
in the said parish of Saint James (Except the three
Rooms given to my wife for her life ) and on her
death I give and devise the said three Rooms so
given to my wife to the said George Withey his
Executors Administrators and assigns I give and bequeath
uto my said son George Withey his Executors
administrators and assigns all my Leasehold Estate
at Short(?) Street in the parish of Westbury in the
County of Wilts now in the possession of Our (?) curate
All the rest and residue of my estates both real
and personal and all other my Estate and Effects
whatsoever and wheresoever / not therein before disposed
of/ subject to the ^payment of the^ several legacies above mentioned and
to the payment of my just debts and funeral Expences
I give and bequeath unto my said son George Withey
who I hereby constitute and appoint sole Executor
of this my last Will and Testament (hereby revoking
all former wills by me made ) In witness whereof
I have to this my last Will and Testament contained
in two sheets of paper to the first sheet set my
hand and to the last sheet of paper set my hand
and seal the day and year first above written
George Witney (signature)  Signed sealed published and
declared by the Testator Georgw withney as and for
the last Will and Testament in the presence of us
who signes our Hands as Witnesses thereto in his
presence and at his [     ] Catherine Board J Smith

This Will was proved at London the nineteenth
day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand
seven hundred and ninety eight before the Right
Honourable Mr William Wynne Knight doctor of
Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative
Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath

of George Withey the son of the deceased and sole
Executor named in the said Will to whom Adminstration
of all and singular was granted he having been first
sworn by Commission duly to administer.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hugs of appreciation Goldie....and double appreciation to Arthur and Liz.  My goodness gracious.  Cannot thank you enough.  What insight and help you have been.  Thrilled to pieces here.  Truly thrilled!
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
With all of your help, this is what I have.  Only a couple of question marks remain.  Thanks again. Forever indebted for your kindness and hard work.

This is the last Will and Testament of me George Withey of the city of Bath in the county of Somerset carpenter made this thirteenth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty eight.

First I give and devise unto my wife Ann Withey for and during her normal life three rooms over the Gate Way in my dwelling house in the parish of Saint James in the said City of Bath with free liberty of Ingress, Egress and Regress to and from the same I give unto my said wife all my household goods to be at her own disposal.

I give and bequeath unto my Son Thomas Withey the anvil Bellows and all the tools belonging to the trade of Smith which he now follows. Also, I give unto my said Son Thomas Withey, Ten Pounds. 

I give unto my Son Francis Withey the sum of Twenty Pounds. 

I give unto my Son Jeremiah Withey the sum of Ten pounds.

I give unto Son John Withey the Sum of Ten Pounds.

I give unto my Daughter Ann Withey the sum of five Guineas.

I give unto my daughter Susanna Veal the sum of fiveGuineas.

I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Woolley the sum of five Guineas

I give unto my daughter Martha Withey the sum of five guineas.

I give unto my daughter Sarah Withey the sum of  five Guineas all which several pecuniary Legacies.

I order and direct to be paid within twelve months next after my decease by my Executors hereinafter named I give devise and bequeath unto my son George Withey his Executor administrators and assigns all that my Messuage or Tenement wherein I now live with the yard workshops with its appurtenances in the said parish of Saint James (Except the three Rooms given to my wife for her life ) and on her death I give and devise the said three Rooms so given to my wife to the said George Withey his Executors Administrators and assigns I give and bequeath unto my said son George Withey his Executors administrators and assigns all my Leasehold Estate at Short Street in the parish of Westbury in the County of Wilts now in the possession of Mr. Turner All the rest and residue of my estates both real and personal and all other my Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever / not therein before disposed of/ subject to the ^payment of the^ several legacies above mentioned and to the payment of my just debts and funeral Expences I give and bequeath unto my said son George Withey who I hereby constitute and appoint sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament (hereby revoking all former wills by me made ) In witness whereof I have to this my last Will and Testament contained  in two sheets of paper to the first sheet set my hand and to the last sheet of paper set my hand and seal the day and year first above written.

George Witney (signature)

Signed sealed published and  declared by the Testator George Withney as and for the last Will and Testament in the presence of us who signes our Hands as Witnesses thereto in his
presence and at his request Catherine Board J Smith

This Will was proved at London the nineteenth day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety eight before the Right Honourable Sir William Wynne Knight doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath  of George Withey the son of the deceased and sole Executor named in the said Will to whom Administration of all and singular was granted he having been first sworn by Commission duly to administer.

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Horsely Down....many  many thanks sent your way.  What a wonderful help you have been!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 December 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
now in the possession of Our (?) curate
... now in the possession of Mr. Turner

presence and at his [     ]
... presence and at his request

the Right Honourable Mr. William Wynne Knight
the Right Honourable Sir William Wynne Knight

I agree with Short Street.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 December 17 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you Bookbox for helping.  Deep appreciation is sent your way. 

I have been busy helping many with their family trees here in the US that I have neglected filling in mine.  Martha Withey, daughter of George Withey, who might be the son of this George Whitey married Charles Andrews Barrow, grandson of the Magistrate of Wedmore, Somerset.  Charles daughter, Elizabeth Barrow, Born 1836, married Henry Wylde, direct line to the Wyldes of the Commandery in Worcester and 2nd Viscount Robert Tracy.  I remember as a young child, my uncle showing me this Robert Tracy oil portrait he owned. Being quite young, I never paid much attention to genealogy,  Much to my chagrin, all have died now and the stories are lost. 

I do a great deal of volunteer work with findagrave.com and helping many with puzzles here.  I need to do further research into my English lines.  I do have two newspaper subscriptions of US newspapers and should obtain a subscription to British newspapers.

I truly appreciate all of you helping me.  Your hard work has helped me a great deal and I thank you for that!  Do hope all of you will have a lovely holiday season.