Author Topic: james barter  (Read 1093 times)

Offline abarter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james barter
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 December 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
thankyou that's a new report on james which I havnt got,woundering now if its a younger james in this article

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: james barter
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 December 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I think it is likely to be the same James Barter who has progressed from stone throwing to poaching for rabbits.

"was ordered to pay (>d costs. Assaulting and Insulting an Old Man.— James Barter, lb' years age, and Thomas Palmer, 14 years, were charged with assaulting Samuel Barrett, of Milborne Port, the October, by throwing stones at him. Complainant said that he"

As no one on here seems to have been able to find James in 1881 either then
(1) he has been mistranscribed
(2) he emigrated
(3) he died

I can't find him in 1891, which might rule out (1)

Milborne Port was a big tanning and gloving village at the time.  Presumably having been in trouble twice in a year, James would have lost his job at the glove factory and had to find work elsewhere?  His address in 1871 is interesting, Newtown still exists.  It is an area of thatched cottages which was built to 'buy' workers votes.  The homes were poorly built and very overcrowded which is demonstrated in the 1841 census.  The Medlycotts were the most affluent family in MP and Sylvanus Longman was a farmer of 370 acres employing 17 outdoors and 1 indoors labourer.

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne