Author Topic: John Graham married Fanny Nabb July 17 1899 in Bury  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Graham married Fanny Nabb July 17 1899 in Bury
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this the couple in 1901? If so I believe that there was often a naming pattern used in Scotland which may help. Someone else may know how it worked.

ED: 8; Page: 29; Line: 15;
15 Moorpark Ter, Renfrew, Renfrewshire

John Graham   35   Machinist (boilermakers)        Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Fanny Graham   29                                               England
Percy Graham   8 Mos                                          Renfrew, Renfrewshire

Percy seemed to have been a popular name late 19th/ early 20th century, so may not have been a family name. As Fanny was English they may not have followed a traditional naming pattern.

According to www.britishbabynames.com Percy ranked number 23 among 200 most popular boy's names of babies registered in England & Wales in 1900 and joint 28th in 1904. ( Name data for Scottish births for those years isn't on the site.)  Both Percy and Percival are in a list of 100 "popular and trend-setting" boy's names of the Victorian era on a blog-page titled "Victorian Darlings" on the same website. Percy was an Anglo-French name, from the surname of the noble Percy family of Northumberland, and also a short form of Percival and Perseus. So IMO, less likely to have been a name passed down through a Scottish family.
There were 2 boys called Percy in my English Lancashire family around 1900 and neither of them were named after an older relative.

BTW  www.britishbabynames.com has data for England & Wales back to 1850. It also has lists of most popular names in Elizabethan and Restoration Norfolk and name combinations compiled from 1911 England & Wales Census.
Cowban

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 December 17 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Guys a message I just received ...

just came across a writing I did back in the 90’s on my mother.  According to this writing my grandfather died on November 29, 1923 at the age of 53.  That is all the information I noted down on my grandfather.  Expect that is because my mother didn’t know any more.

I wonder .. I wonder

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159372117

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 December 17 07:13 GMT (UK) »
The Scotland's People death index lists 19 John Grahams who died in 1953, including one aged 51 whose death was registered in Stornoway. If you think he might be your man, take a look at his death certificate. It will tell you the names of his wife and of his parents.

There's also one aged 54 who died in Canonbie.

There are no deaths of John Grahams aged 53 registered in England and Wales in the last quarter of 1923 or first quarter of 1924, but there are a 51-year-old and a 54-year-old.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 December 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Biggest problem is that it’s not an uncommon name! It also depends who registered the death, whether or not they knew his correct date of birth. Perhaps worth getting that certificate though as your informant seems to know exactly when he died.

Have you checked that writing on the gravestone, does any of that fit with what you know? I’m not sure it means he is actually buried there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it is the right person .. that  gentleman was born in the same place as he died ... John Graham in the census clearly was from Renfrewshire .. .. will find him.. it's times like this that a wee visit to Edinburgh would be handy .. I may just do that with a few other queries to follow up on .. guys again everything you have offered is first class and. A great help at the least offering clues and helping to narrow down 👍🙂
I am heading home for Xmas actually next week so may look at a day in Edinburgh and a visit in the national archives ... thanks
Scott
Nz

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 December 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Home being Scotland? Make sure you pack warm clothes if you’re coming from New Zealand, there is snow in Scotland, and over a lot of the rest of the UK.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 December 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I am heading home for Xmas actually next week so may look at a day in Edinburgh and a visit in the national archives ... thanks
You will be grateful that the SP Centre and National Archives are open except for 2 days each for Christmas and New Year. Most family history societies' premises close down completely for about two weeks over the whole festive season.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Great info as I was not sure .. thank u for that

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Home being Scotland? Make sure you pack warm clothes if you’re coming from New Zealand, there is snow in Scotland, and over a lot of the rest of the UK.

Yes East Kilbride is where I grew up .. left in 96 .. 🙂 Yes it will be a lot colder than what I am leaving .... I guess I'm not going for the weather 😃 But I won't mind a bit of snow .. it's been a few years since I threw a snow ball ..