Author Topic: Archibald McCallum b Grenfell NSW 17 Oct 1910 - ??  (Read 533 times)

Offline Neilhilt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald McCallum b Grenfell NSW 17 Oct 1910 - ??
« on: Friday 08 December 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Archibald McCallum, son of Alexander McCallum and Mary Cameron McDonald, was working for his Uncle Walter McCallum at Wentworth (grazier d Jan 1941 grazier) New South Wales, when he enlisted at Sturt St, South, Melb, Vic, in 2/6 th Battalion on 20 Oct 1939, VX 3212.  He was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant on 15 May 1941, shortly before his capture on Crete.  The proper paperwork could not be completed at the time, so there was some argument for a while about the validity of the promotion.  This was  was finally approved with a statement from Captain A K Browne OC (VX72).  Archibald was demobbed in England and was living at c/- Mrs. C. Garrett, 33 Gwyder Rd, Beckenham, Kent on 23 Dec 1948.
My question is did he marry and whom ?
Date or year and place of death?

Goulburn Evening Post (NSW : 1940 - 1954), Wednesday 1 July 1942.
GOULBURN MAN HONOURED Sergeant Archibald McCallum, of 2/6th Battalion, has been mentioned in despatches in recognition of distinguished services in the Middle East, including Egypt, East Africa, the Western Desert, the Sudan, Greece, Crete, Syria and Tobruk, during the period February, 1941, to July, 1941.  Mrs. Donald R. Peden, (nee Margaret McDonald, an aunt) of "Ferrintosh." Chatsbury, has been informed of the King's appreciation of the services of her nephew, Sergeant McCallum, who is now a prisoner of War in Germany.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/99795269

Archibald is a distant relative by marriage.

Cheers Neil
Smith - Ayrshire, Pyrmont, Newtown.  Dunsmore - Ayrshire.  Fyfe - Lanarkshire.  Patterson - Hunter Valley, Goulburn.  Rex - Yorkshire, Hobart.  Colbran - Sussex, Hawkesbury.  Lovell - Somerset, Marsfield.  Gallard - Kent,  Marsfield.  Sherriff - Angushire.  Cussen.  Dean - Mudgee.  Hill - Somerset, Gulgong

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McCallum b Grenfell NSW 17 Oct 1910 - ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 December 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Maybe...

Archibald Mccallum. married Maureen A Mallett. 1962, Maidstone, Kent.  5B 1297.

There is also this obituary...

Florence Macrae Mccallum. 12 Aug 1952. spouse Archibald Mccallum.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked his Australian Service Records thoroughly?

I note on his papers as VX 3212 which you have quoted from, that he lied on enlistment.
He stated he had not served  before. In fact he had done 2 years from 1929-31 as 19377 Archibald Mcallum. He was discharged 4/6/1931 services no longer required.
For some reason his DoB and age were altered on his VX 3212 papers to 17 oct 1908.
The fact he was court martial'd probably added to the confusion over his rank.. At least he got his stripes back eventually.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Johnmccallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
my name is John McCallum and I am the son of Archibald McCallum b 17 October 1910, the son of Alexander McCallum and Mary Cameron McCallum. He was returned from POW camp to the Australian reception depot at Eastbourne Uk in May 1945 and with many others went AWOL in London when told they were being returned to Australia to serve against the Japanese..he thought he had done his bit and was I am sure very traumatised by the 4 years in Stalag 344. He gave himself up on VJ Day and served some time in the glasshouse but his sentence and loss of pay was commuted. He chose to be demobbed in the UK and ended up working as the Deputy Manager of Fibrecrete in Nailsworth Gloucestershire where he married my mother, Margaret Smith on a very, very, cold January day in 1947.I was born on June 6th 1948. The marriage ended in 1952. In hindsight, like so many marriages at the end of the war, it was always liable to fail as I am sure his experiences in the war would have left him pretty traumatised..we recognise it today as Post Traumatic Stress..he disappeared and I had no more contact with him sadly. He obviously didnt want to be traced as even when my mother petitioned for divorce in 1959 he couldnt be found, even by the salvation Army missing persons bureau who were very good at finding people.
I corresponded with his cousin Hugh Peden in the 1990s and with Don Mackenzie from Strathairn..in fact I met Don in the UK with his wife Beryl. Its a bit like a book with a missing last chapter and I would dearly like to know how the rest of his life panned out and what happened to him..any information you have would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted on a.l.mccallum@btinternet.com.
All my best
John McCallum