Author Topic: Can anything be done to restore this photograph - Robert Evans Caernarfonshire  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anything be done to restore this photograph - Robert Evans Caernarfonshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
A Happy New Year to everyone and a special thank you to everyone who worked on improving what is a very poor photograph. They all have their merits, I particularly like Paula Too's treatment of the beard. Yes I think he has lost part of his middle finger but I do not know how. I know he started work at the Trefor Granite Quarry when he was fifteen years old making granite setts, the square blocks used at the time for paving the new streets in cities like Liverpool. It might of been a industrial accident during that time or later when he had a butcher's business.

Just as an aside  I am guessing the photo was taken in the 1890's or 1900's and it is interesting see he is still wearing a tall bowler type hat (not sure what they are called) favoured by Ken Dodd's Diddy Men and Welsh Drovers. To illustrate the point I attach a famous photo of Drovers in the second half of the 19th Century. I guess in his younger days Robert would have been as slim as them.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
Re: Can anything be done to restore this photograph - Robert Evans Caernarfonshire
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you can well imagine that finger being in the wrong place at the wrong time with jobs like that.
Hard to think of him slim, but as a drover I should think he was just like the men in that photo.

Great old feller, loved doing it.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks