Author Topic: Charles Allen and his family  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Allen and his family
« on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Charles Allen was born around 1809 in the area around Barnard Castle (I think) and made his fortune as a contractor for cuttings and embankments on the Stanhope and Tyne Railway.  He invested his money in building a pub named The Stanhope and Tyne Railway Hotel in Annfield Plain in about 1835 and there was a substantial brewery on land behind the pub.  There were several tied houses associated with this brewery.  He appears in the 1861 Census for Annfield Plain but not after that.  In the 1871 Census his son, Thompson Allen appears to have succeeded him at the tender age of 20.  I have found no further mention of either of them.  Ultimately his business was bought by Newcastle Breweries Ltd but when?  Can anyone help please.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Allen and his family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I think this is the death of Charles,

Charles ALLEN    Dec Q 1865    Durham    10a 153

Burial
Chas. Allen   
Residence Place:  Annfield Plane   
Burial Date     17 Nov 1865   
Burial Place     Lanchester, Durham   

Wills 1865
ALLEN Charles
Effects under £4,000

19th December  The will of Charles ALLEN late of Annfield Plain in the County of Durham Brewer deceased who died 15th November at Annfield Plain aforesaid to Frances Jane ALLEN of Annfield Plain aforesaid Widow the Relict and sole Executrix.

You could get a copy of his will here,

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 December 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »

I think this could be Frances,

1871  RG10/4959  f.162  p.26    Lanchester, Durham
F J ALLEN              Head    Widow    53    Annuitant    Northumberland Ford
Annie JOHNSON    Daur         Mar    29    Wife            Durham Annfield Plain
Charles Thompson JJOHNSON   Grandson     4          Kent Newcross

1881    RG11/4956  f.12  p.18    Framwellgate, Durham
1 Atherton Street
Frances Jane ALLEN    Head    Widow    58    Income From Rents     Lanchester, Durham
Ann JOHNSON              Daur    Widow    37    Income From Rents     Annfield Plain, Durham
Charles T JOHNSON  Grandson             14    Scholar                         New Cross, Kent

Death
Frances Jane ALLEN
Mar Q 1888    Durham    10a  190

Probate
Frances Jane ALLEN
Personal Estate £207  12s

16th May 1888  The will of Frances Jane ALLEN late of New Elvet in the city of Durham Widow who died 1 January 1888 at New Elvet was proved at Durham by Moorhouse PALLISTER of 22 Hewgill Terrace in the City and County of Newcastle Upon Tyne Joiner the sole Executor.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daisypetal

Thank you for your help.  I think you have got both of these things right but that leads me to wonder what happened to his estate.  £4,000 was a lot of money in 1865 but, judging by the scale of his business, he should have left an awful lot more - unless the business was heavily in debt.  His wife left virtually nothing in comparison so I am wondering if he left most of his estate to his son or if he signed it over prior to his death and the business was not included in his personal assets.  I will have to get a copy of the will

Elliven

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thompson Allen is age 20 in the 1861 census not the 1871 so born c1841.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a Thompson Allen age 71 Sept 1/4 1912 registration district  Scarbro who may be worth following through.
Thompson Allen age 30 is  with his wife Harriet age 19 in 1871 at Annfield Plain.
RG10 Piece 4956 Folio 58 Page 27
They're in London in 1891 No occupation and  also two daughters born in Scarborough
 1901 RG13 Piece 3 Folio 132 Page 4 Thompson is retired but it doesn't say from what occupation.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
 Thompson has a second wife Violet Leah Guttenberg. They married in Scarborough in 1904. They have two children Vivienne born c1906 and Aubrey c1909.
The 1912 death is your man I think.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thompson Allen's probate is on ancestry. He left an estate of 45,651 pounds 17 shillings and fourpence. Probate to Herbert Crawford, cloth manufacturer and Harry Petch, architect. Herbert Crawford is the husband of Thompson's daughter Estelle.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 December 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Crisane

Thank you for your help.  I think you are right about the 1912 death and the estate he left is much more in line with what I would have expected.  I think the bulk of this money would have come from the sale of his family business (a brewery and several pubs) to Newcastle Breweries Ltd some time after the death of his father.  It looks like Charles Allen left him the family business and left his mother an annuity and a home.

Elliven