Author Topic: Married by banns in 1822 at age 16/17  (Read 1507 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Married by banns in 1822 at age 16/17
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »

If the consent was presumed, then it would be taken as given, which would be entered as such in the register.

Stan

"which would be entered as such in the register"

Sorry to be such a pain, but, believe it or not, I'm still not quite getting this.   :-[

In the case I'm referring to the register says ".... were married in this church by banns .... " and the printed words "with consent of " have been crossed through, as with all the other entries on this image of the register.  So, if the bride was only 16/17yo, should there have been mention of consent?

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »

If the consent was presumed, then it would be taken as given, which would be entered as such in the register.

Stan

"which would be entered as such in the register"

Sorry to be such a pain, but, believe it or not, I'm still not quite getting this.   :-[

In the case I'm referring to the register says ".... were married in this church by banns .... " and the printed words "with consent of " have been crossed through, as with all the other entries on this image of the register.  So, if the bride was only 16/17yo, should there have been mention of consent?

STG

No there was no legal requirement to do so.
That simpley acted as a memory aid.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 December 17 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Got it!   ;D

Finally.  :-[

Thanks for your patience. 

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)