Author Topic: Family mystery and Buckinghamshire question  (Read 4126 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Family mystery and Buckinghamshire question
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
You should consider contacting the Buckinghmashire Family History Society. They have separate databases for baptisms, marriages and burials and will do 100 year searches of a particular surname (and spelling variations) in any or all of the databases. I think its still only £3 a go, so well worth it.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/database-searches

Oh, and they email the results - and I'm sure they will have a system for payment in other than British £s. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I tired to do this this evening but no reply email came through I checked my junk mail nothing in there I couldn't see a contact email on the web page so I'm not sure what to try next ... do you know how I might contact them

Thank you
Deb

The link for search requests posted earlier, is all you need.  You fill in the online form, and wait for the results.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/database-searches/search-request

You will be notified if a result is found, and then asked to pay in the same notification. The payment will be for a Search Voucher, from the online shop, which covers the cost of the search.

A reply does not happen overnight, it can take a few days to get results.  The site is run by volunteers, so be patient.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 December 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all sorted :-) now I wait and hope I might get some proof I'm on the right track ... I think I am but it's always good to get some verification.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 December 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Ok I'm clutching at straws here but searching further using some of the links given ... I'm still looking for Charles Stevens and his marriage.  Seems the family not only had homes in Horton but also London and the picture I'm getting is that only one brother Henry stayed on farming while the other brothers had a candle and soap making business.

Henry Stevens is then married to Mary and seems they have five children two sons one called William Littlewood Stevens and one called John Hutton Stevens.  I've just found a marriage for Charles and Sarah in 1808 and one of the witnesses is an Ann Littlewood.  Using some of the above links I  found a reference of headstones at the cemetery in Horton and I found this - just wanting opinions if the fact that these tombs are together .. that it's looking like the Stevens and Littlewood have history?  Henry did also have a sister Ann ... perhaps she also married a Littlewood?

On an elevated piece of ground at the back of the female yew tree, within a tall iron rail, is another tomb, on the top of which -
Sacred to the memory of Mary, beloved wife of Henry Stevens, died 2nd February, 1848, aged 60. Sacred to the memory of Henry, husband of the said Mary Stevens, died 21st October, 1851, aged 60.

On the north side of the same tomb -
Ann, wife of Edward Hall, Esq., who died 28th July 1829, æt. 45. Also Ann, wife of John Littlewood, Esq., died 22nd August, 1833, æt. 36.

On the south side -
William Littlewood Stevens, son of Henry Stevens of this parish and Mary his wife, died 24th September, 1835, æt. 9.
Mary Ann Fowles of Stanwell, daughter of the above Henry and Mary Stevens of Wyrardisbury, died 16th June, 1847 æt. 30.
Also John Hutton Steven, son of the above, died 24th September, 1850, æt. 32.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 December 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Think I have answered part of my own question ... found Henry's marriage to Mary Littlewood and the witnesses were Ann and William Littlewood.  So now I'm wondering if Ann was a Stevens?  Or just a family friend.

But I think it's looking at least likely that this is Charles marriage.