Author Topic: When did he enter Australia,1911 to 1915 Adelaide. George Armstrong AIF.  (Read 1311 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
When did he enter Australia,1911 to 1915 Adelaide. George Armstrong AIF.
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
I have for a while now, added a thread on my local history FaceBook page about local lads who died in the First World War on the one hundred year anniversary of their death.

It is coming up to the anniversary of the last man's death from 1917 in a weeks time and I have his early life in England, however he left England and fought in the A.I.F after enlisting on the 2nd of February 1915 at Keswick? South Australia and subsequently lost his life on the 18th of December 1917 whilst serving as a Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion Australian Pioneers.

I have a very good history of his service from the National Archives of Australia which tells me everything I could wish to know, however, would it be possible for someone to point me in the direction of a date for his entry into Australia? his service record shows that his port of entry was Adelaide South Australia, however I would ideally like a date, just to finish his story off.

Many thanks for your time in reading my post and as always my very best regards.

Frank.

Added, he was born in Doncaster and his parents were Robert and Mary Armstrong, they remained in England when George left home, George was born about 1884.
Just found him in 1911 in Doncaster so entry would be after that date.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for entry in about 1910. George Armstrong AIF.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
From national archives passenger lists https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/PassengerSearch.aspx

There is a George Armstrong, British, a labourer arriving 14th May 1912 on Orsova
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=9870252

There is a George Armstrong arriving on Osterly in 1912 https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=9870329

I'll let you check that one - sorry have to dash off. :)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for entry in about 1910. George Armstrong AIF.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros  :)

Many thanks, I will check them out, it says on his documents on his service record that he entered via Adelaide, would he have disembarked at Freemantle Brisbane first, during his journey to Adelaide?

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid  :-[

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When did he enter Australia,1911 to 1915 Adelaide. George Armstrong AIF.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:03 GMT (UK) »
POE is Place of enlistment.  Nothing to do with George's arrival in Australia.  Every servicemen has those abbreviations on the NAA index.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 Geo ARMSTRONG arriving in time frame - just checking them now.  I see he was a carpenter so doesn't sound like either of the original two were the correct one - both labourers and the second one married.

Otherwise we need to check Mr ARMSTRONG.  :(

The ships which arrived via Cape of Good Hope had their first port of call in Australia at Fremantle in Western Australia.

Ros

adding : Both entries for Geo ARMSTRONG were for the same voyage but I can't find him on the passenger list - only a J ARMSTRONG, farmer.   But my eyesight isn't the best  :(
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Frank, you asked:  "would he have disembarked at Freemantle Brisbane first, "

These are 2 different places.
Fremantle is on the west coast, as Ros pointed out; Brisbane is in Queensland on the east coast of Australia.  In early days ships (sailing ships) sometimes came to Queensland first;  I presume it had something to do with prevailing winds.
But as Ros says, if they came via Cape of Good Hope, i.e. before the Suez Canal - or even after the Canal was built - Fremantle would be first port of call. Just as it was last port of call in Australia, the first time I went to UK  ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 17 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Suez Canal opened in 1869, George born circa 1884.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 17 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Ah, so!
Always hated those dates in history lessons  ::)  ::)  ::)

Thanks
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, many thanks to you all for your replies, it is very much appreciated :)

cando, thank you so much for pointing out that P.O.E means place of enlistment, I don't know why I thought it meant "Port of Entry" :-[ common sense should have told me it stood for "Place of Enlistment" (it's on his service record  ::) )

Ross, JM and Dawn M, thank you to you all for the additional information, regarding Freemantle and  Brisbane etc, I shall do a search on the Australian Archives for a "Mr Armstrong" to see if I have any luck.

Again my sincere thanks for all of your input.

Frank  :)