Author Topic: Cheery Hello from Texas!  (Read 720 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Cheery Hello from Texas!
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
DO hope this finds all of you doing well.  Cannot thank you for the tremendous help you have been!  Thank you thank you thank you.  This will was much easier to read but I did have difficulty with a few of the names and words.  Thanks again for your help.  Deep gratitude sent your way!

Martha Withey Will – Bath, Somerset County, England

In the Name of God Amen

I, Martha Withey, of the City of Bath Spinster being of sound memory and understanding so make and declare this to be my last will and Testament in manor following (that is to say) I direct all my just debts, funeral and testamentary expences together with the costs and charges proving this my will to be paid by my executor  as soon as conveniently can be after my decease.

I give to Hannah Withey, widow of my late Brother Jeremiah Withey, the sum of ten pounds.

To my nephew John Withey Ten pounds.

To my niece Ann Withey Ten pounds.

To my niece Maria Clift Ten pounds.

To my niece Elizabeth Goodhind Ten pounds.

To my niece Mary Hancock Ten pounds.

And to my niece Susanna Cole thirty pounds.

I give to the following persons Sons and Daughters of my late Sister Sarah Jones. The following legacies (that is to say).

To my Nephew Edmund? Jones nineteen pounds and nineteen shillings.

To my Nephew Samuel Jones nineteen pounds and nineteen shillings.

To my Niece Ann Jones thirty pounds.

And to my niece Martha Jones thirty pounds.

And direct that the aforesaid several legacies be paid free of Legacy duty and as to all my goods, chattels, monies, estates, funds and in securities for money subject to the payment of the aforesaid legacies and funds and securities, and legacy duty and in case there should be a sufficient surplus, to then I give to Thomas Veal, so of Mr. Thomas Veal of No 5 Sion Place,  Bathwick Hill, my executor hereinafter named the sum of ten pounds.  To John Veal, Brother of the said Thomas Veal, the elder,  Ten pounds and the residue and remainder after payment of the said two last mentioned Legacies I give

Page 2

Equally between all and even the daughters of the said Thomas Veal, the elder, Executor of this my will hereby revoking all other Wills.

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the first day of February One thousand eight hundred and forty-three.

[Signed] Martha Withey

Signed and Sealed by the said Testatrix Martha Withey as and for her last will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at her request in the presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses.

[Signed]

Robt. Cruttwell, Bath
Andrew Marion  Clerk to Messrs. Cruttwell & Sons

Proved at London, 13th December 1843, before the Judge by the Oath of Thomas Veal the sole Executor to whom Administration was granted having been first sworn by Commission duly to  Administrator.

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheery Hello from Texas!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
First image:

...costs...  (the next character is a line filler)

...ten pounds..

...Elizabeth Good...
  (another line filler afterwards)

...Mary Hancock...

...following persons...

Agree with Jones.

...Legacy duty...   (another line filler after Legacy)

...chattels...

...funds and securities..
.  (line filler confusing matters again)

...and legacy duty...

...Mr Thomas...

...No 5 Sion Place...
  (Not sure of the P - will look for another example)

...the elder...

...after payment of the said two last mentioned legacies I gave unto and...

ADDED:

Actually Sion Place - changed above.

ADDED 2:

The P is correct - see William Phillips in the next will (following page).

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
...the elder...

...Cruttwell...

...Messrs Cruttwell...

...Judge by the
Oath of Thomas Veal the sole Executor to whom Adm(inistrati)on was granted
having been first sworn by Commission duly to Administer...

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
What would I do without you two?  Hugs of appreciation sent your way.

Been piecing together this family since I transcribed this this morning.  Elizabeth is Elizabeth Goodhind.  Did find her marriage record, etc.

I have to hone this skill with English records so that I can work on the family tree.  Been interested in helping others with their trees here in the US, that my wonderful English roots have not been done.

Truly truly appreciative of your help.  Thank you thank you thank you.

I did notice on ancestry.com that others have been interested in this family but have not been able to place all of the family together.  I will add this portion of the tree to ancestry and to familysearch.org in hopes that others will benefit from all of your help.

My grandfather's mother, Elizabeth Barrow Wylde, who married James Smith Haring Jr had migrated from Warwickshire in the 1860s to New York. Her grandfather was a Vicar in Warwickshire. Here is the URl of his grave: https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=59563225     

She died from complications of giving birth to my grandfather. He was older when my mother was born, and my mother was quite old having me.  Only wish I had taken more of an interest in this line of the family before everyone had died. 

Do hope you are having a wonderful day!

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I have corrected the document.  Another quick question.  Was Edmund, Edmund or was the name Edward?  Thanks!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Another quick question.  Was Edmund, Edmund or was the name Edward?

Edmund is correct.

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  Cannot seem to find him in that county.  Will look further. Appreciate it