Author Topic: 1841 census too faint to read  (Read 2274 times)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census too faint to read
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find information on a branch of my wifes ancestors who came from Dunkirk, Kent.
I think I may have found them in the 1841 census, but the copy on Ancestry.co.uk is so faint it is impossible to read.  The page is :-
Piece   466
Book   5
Page number 1
The family I'm looking for could be the first 8 people on the page.  They have been transcribed somehow, but other than Susanna, I can't really make any names out.

Does anyone know if any other websites have a clearer image of this page, or know of any computer techniques or software that might make the page readable.
 :)
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census too faint to read
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi am using a different site and original as you say unreadable, was it the Bice ( Price in 1851) /Brunger or White families you were looking for?
Keyboard86
Full ref HO107/466 / 5/4 / 1
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi am using a different site and original as you say unreadable, was it the Bice ( Price in 1851) /Brunger or White families you were looking for?

I was hoping to find the Waters family, on Ancestry it is transcribed as W??kert which someone has added a correction as Waters, the only name I can make out is Susanna.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
 :) OK my site has transcribed the family as WHITE Father George 35 Susanna 35 and family.
What is it you wish to view if possible on that census?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
You could try downloading the page as an image, then with whatever imaging software you have (MS Office picture manager, or one of the many freeware programs) mess around with contrast and brightness to improve it.  That often works for me.

Good luck
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »

Piece   466
Book   5
Page number 1
The family I'm looking for could be the first 8 people on the page.  They have been transcribed somehow, but other than Susanna, I can't really make any names out.

They are the last on the page, not the first, and son George is first on the second page.

Debra  :D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
George, no age visable to me, Susanna, 35, Ann, 14, Mary?, 10, William, 9, Martha, 7, Maria, 5, Catherine, 3, George, 3? months.  All indicated as born in the county except father George which appears blank to me.  I can't make out his occupation.

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
They are the last on the page, not the first, and son George is first on the second page.

So they are  :-[
No wonder I couldn't match the names and ages to what I knew already.

Thank you.

You could try downloading the page as an image, then with whatever imaging software you have (MS Office picture manager, or one of the many freeware programs) mess around with contrast and brightness to improve it.  That often works for me.

Good luck
Philip

I had a go at that but it didn't help very much, maybe if I'd been looking at the right family it might have helped :D  Once I was looking at the right part I had a go with gamma correction and channel splitting which has made it a bit more readable, but hasn't revealed any new information.

Still, it helps with one query I had, who was the Maria that Susannah lived with in 1871 census.  But doesn't confirm (as most trees I've seen show) that George and Susannah married in 1838, as they already had 4-5 children by then.

Thanks for all your help

Rob

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

GRO Index Birth Regs;

WATERS, CATHERINE, Mothers mn GRANT***
GRO Reference: 1838  D Quarter in FAVERSHAM UNION  Volume 05  Page 152

WATERS, GEORGE, Mothers mn GRANT***
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in FAVERSHAM UNION  Volume 05  Page 162

It looks to me that Susannah was a Widow when she married George 1838.
Susanah AUSTEN, maiden name GRANT

You need to find all the Baptisms of the Children pre 1838 under either Waters or Austen.

The reason I say that is George may have been Widowed also and on 1841 Census the older Children are possibly from both earlier Marriages.

Only buying the M/C will confirm definitely.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)