Author Topic: 1841 census too faint to read  (Read 2284 times)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census too faint to read
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 December 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

Added:  possible reason I can't see earlier baptisms, at Dunkirk, might be that earlier volumes are not available to view.  :-\

The earlier births might not have been in Dunkirk, third child William seems to have been born in Sittingbourne, Kent.  So the older two could also have been born there or elsewhere.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 December 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Dunkirk supposedly from 1810 for baptisms.  Nothing for Sittingbourne at all.  Preston near Faversham only 1500's.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/life-events-bmds/kent-canterbury-archdeaconry-parish-list
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 December 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
According to Family Search - Catherine, daughter of George and Susannah Waters was baptised at Harbledown - 25 November 1838.  Transcription only and the information came from the BTs.  No coverage so far from FindMyPast.

It looks as though the church in Dunkirk only came into existence in 1841.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone :)

I got it wrong as I though she may have been Widowed and did not have access to the 1830 Marriage.
I apologise.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone :)

I got it wrong as I though she may have been Widowed and did not have access to the 1830 Marriage.
I apologise.

Trish :)

Don't worry, it sounded plausible without the 1830 info, added to the fact that most previous researchers have taken the easy path and assume the 1838 marriage was right because the names almost fitted.
I had a similar example in my mothers family tree.  I was looking for the maiden name for a Caroline Hill my great great great grandmother.  No sign of a husband in the censuses, so a look through other family trees found a marriage in 1850 for Henry Hill and Caroline Sparrow, surely that was the right one, the names fit?  Bought the marriage certificate to find that Caroline Sparrow married James Sparrow so not the right one at all.  After a lot more digging I found she was actually a Matthews, had children with a least one,possibly two men named Hill, but never married  them and children with another man, again never married but used his name.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes Families can be complicated ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)