Author Topic: Charing PR 1650-1660  (Read 807 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charing PR 1650-1660
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I posted this a few months ago but thought I'd post an updated version of the question. I am hoping that someone is able to check the parish registers of Charing for a christening that probably happened between 1653 and 1657 [give or take a year or so].

I am trying to find the birth/christening of Mary Browne who married Robert Rayner in 1672. They were married by licence and according to this both were 'of Charing' and Mary

am hoping someone can double check the parish registers of Charing for the christening of Mary Browne c1654.

Mary married Robert Rayner, by licence, in 1672, and both were described as being 'of Charing'. Mary's father was dead and her mother Margaret Chapman consented to the marriage. The bondsman was named as "Thomas Chapman, of Charing, innholder" and so Mary's mother could have remarried.

If anyone is able to double check to see if there is a Mary Browne christened in Charing (or in any other nearby parish) c1654 which would be the Mary who married Robert it would be a great help.

Thanks

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Charing PR 1650-1660
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Nothing for Charing.

Mary Browne - Daughter of Thomas Browne -(No Mother name)
Baptized 9 June 1660. at St Mary's .Chilham .(Close to Charing  , about 6 Miles)

Could well be your Mary as she would have been 12 or 13 when she married so would have need
parents consent.

Thomas Chapman Inn Keeper Buried1684 .Charing . He left a Will dated 1683 .Might be of help.

Only one Margaret Browne Burried  Woodchurch 1779
Loads of Margaret Chapmans  buried .None at Charing or Chilham.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charing PR 1650-1660
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Nothing for Charing.

Mary Browne - Daughter of Thomas Browne -(No Mother name)
Baptized 9 June 1660. at St Mary's .Chilham .(Close to Charing  , about 6 Miles)

Could well be your Mary as she would have been 12 or 13 when she married so would have need
parents consent.

Thomas Chapman Inn Keeper Buried1684 .Charing . He left a Will dated 1683 .Might be of help.

Only one Margaret Browne Burried  Woodchurch 1779
Loads of Margaret Chapmans  buried .None at Charing or Chilham.

Hi

Thanks for the info. The published index to the marriage licences says that Mary was "18" do you think someone could have misread "13" ?

I have a copy of the Will that you referred to, however it doesn't give any indication of a connection to Mary or a Margaret. In it Thomas refers to the following people:

"my daughter Elizabeth the now wife of William Beeching"

"my loving wife Frances Chapman"

"my daughter Anne Chapman"

There is no mention of Margaret or Mary, and no reference to the Raynor name. From this it is impossible to tell if this Thomas is the one referred to in the Marriage Licence.

I will keep the christening in Chilham in mind.

Thanks again

Matt