Author Topic: Does Inverkeithing have no pre-1855 Death Records?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Does Inverkeithing have no pre-1855 Death Records?
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Looking for a death/burial c1847-1851 in Inverkeithing Parish but ScotlandsPeople seems to have no hits for anybody for this period.

FamilySearch Wiki for Inverkeithing Parish OPRs states "Deaths: There are burials until 1708 and no entries April 1708–January 1710. Deaths are recorded until December 1710 then no entries until November 1783, after which date burials are recorded".

I wonder if the final words should actually read "... after which date no burials are recorded"?

Can anyone clarify the position for me?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does Inverkeithing have no pre-1855 Death Records?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
This are the films LDS have.
It looks as if there are no burials/deaths after 1843, although baptisms go up to 1854  - I suspect up to the date of Civil registration.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks goldie61.

I've found no relevant Memorial Inscription, which only leaves the possibility of a newspaper death notice. Found nothing in British Newspaper Archive nor in Happy Haggis. Is anyone aware of any other  newspaper resource which covers that period in the Inverkeithing area?

[My query relates to the death of Archibald Ritchie who married Jane Morrison in Nov 1847; she is shown as Widow by 1851 Census (which would seem to be correct because she married again in 1852)].

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
This is a very loooong shot.

Fife Herald 18th January, 1849
Fatal Accident: One day last week, as the master of a vessel, named Janet Colville, lying at Perth, was attempting to go on board, he fell and injured himself badly. He lingered for a few days in the infirmary then died. He was a young man of the name of Ritchie and belonged to the south of Fife.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Buckhyne, that certainly does warrant further investigation. I think my Archibald Ritchie was born 1814 in Cramond, Edinburgh, his family having moved to Inverkeithing by the 1841 Census. That would make him aged 35 in 1849, which certainly fits the description of  “a young man … from south of Fife”.
I don't have anything yet which suggests my Archibald became a seaman (his father was an Ag Lab), and I've found an Archibald in 1841 Census who was a Coachman (which sounds like just a fill-in job for a young man), but living in a coastal area may well have led him to a maritime occupation.
Shipping movement reports might give Master Ritchie's first name - or even just an initial would be helpful.
Thanks for your input.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Shipping movement reports from the local paper in Perth say that the Janet Colville is from Boness and only give the surname Ritchie with no first name or initial.
Edit: The Janet Colville only journeyed from Boness to Perth.
I thought that was her home port.
In another shipping report she journeyed from Inverkeithing to Perth.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.