Author Topic: Death certificates 1878 & 1879 Magherafelt  (Read 1028 times)

Offline ksyw2x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificates 1878 & 1879 Magherafelt
« on: Monday 11 December 17 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone do lookups of the actual death certificates for Antrim circa 1878? One person in our group has tried faxing a request for the certificate and never heard back.

Thanks

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificates 1878 & 1879 Magherafelt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
For years from 1878 to 1921 (for Northern Ireland), you can view death  certificates on-line free on this site:

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

(Use the civil records tab).

For 1864 to 1877,  you can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.
Elwyn

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ksyw2x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I saw the image on irishgenealogy.ie and the screen where you click "image" also had a sentence about obtaining the certificate, so I thought that there was additional recorded information. But I guess not - the line with the link for obtaining the original certificate must left there for those who want a certified copy.

Can anyone tell me why 1878 is the cut-off for obtaining free images vs. have to pay for the image? Will the earlier images eventually be on the irishgenealogy.ie site for free?

I'm accustomed to using the Scottish records and I'm still finding my way around the Irish records.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
There’s no difference between the information on the irishgenealogy version and a paid for copy. You can order a research copy (ie a photocopy) for 4 euros or a certified copy (such as you would need for legal documents) for 20 euros, but it’s normally the same image you see on the screen. (Occasionally they type them if the handwriting is very faded or very hard to read).

Irishgenealogy are gradually putting the records on-line free. 1878 happens to be as far back as they have got with deaths so far. 1878 to 1890 were only added a few weeks back so your timing is good. The remaining deaths back to 1864 (which is when they started death registration) are to be added next year.

Be aware that the irishgenealogy site only has marriages and death records for what is now Northern Ireland up to 31.12.1921. Births stop in December 1917. If you need records after that you need to use the GRONI site, save that births within 100 years, marriages 75 and deaths 50 are not displayed on the on-line site. There are ways of getting them though.

Irish birth, death & marriage records in the 1800s are the same format as English ones. There’s less information than you get on Scottish certificates. No mothers name on a marriage certificate and parents names are not routinely recorded on death certificates, save perhaps for young children.
Elwyn