Author Topic: Ascot/Askett, Oxfordshire - Nr Great Milton?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ascot/Askett, Oxfordshire - Nr Great Milton?
« on: Monday 11 December 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone with knowledge of the area can help me.

My 4G grandmother Mary Crutch born c 1786 gave her birthplace as Asket, Oxon in 1851 and 1861 census.

Browsing today I found another Crutch family in 1851 census, birthplace given as Ascott, Oxon (father Martin age 67 and son Thomas age 36, living in Stadhampton, Oxfordshire.

Martin appears to have been baptised in Great Milton in 1785, married in Great Milton in 1812, and a son Thomas was baptised in Great Milton in 1813, abode Ascot.

Great Milton and Askett appear to be some 14 miles apart, so I am wondering if there is a different Asket/Ascot/Ascott a bit closer to Great Milton.  :-\

Thanks in advance

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ascot/Askett, Oxfordshire - Nr Great Milton?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Margaret -

Great Milton and Askett appear to be some 14 miles apart, so I am wondering if there is a different Asket/Ascot/Ascott a bit closer to Great Milton.  :-\

Members of Oxfordshire Family History Society are given a copy of "Oxfordshire Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts", by Colin Harris.  This publication also lists hamlets, chapelries, etc.

For Ascott it gives:

Ascott (hamlet) - see Gt. Milton, Little Milton after 1844, and Stadhampton after 1932

Wendy
Oxfordshire FHS Helpdesk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, Wendy.  :)

I'm not sure if Martin Crutch and Mary Crutch were related, Mary may have been from the other Asket, but I have something new to research.

Where would Ascott be today?

Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:54 GMT (UK) »
From GenUKI:

"ASCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Great Milton, hundred of Thame in the county of Oxford, 7 miles from Thame. The river Thame runs near it, and it is a station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway."

And, (re the "other" Askett) from Wikipedia:
Askett is a hamlet in the parish of Princes Risborough, in Buckinghamshire, England. It is situated near the Chiltern Hills. Three miles from the market town of Princes Risborough, the village is served with a pub, The Three Crowns, as well as a nursery/garden centre and an Indian restaurant. A prosperous hamlet, Askett is a typical English "picture postcard" village.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Margaret -

I'm not sure if Martin Crutch and Mary Crutch were related, Mary may have been from the other Asket, but I have something new to research.

Where would Ascott be today?

Margaret

In terms of Ascott - and other Oxfordshire places - always good to refer to the Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, now online.

Of Ascott, it says at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol7/pp117-146
Of Milton's other hamlets Ascot once had a large manor-house, a medieval chapel, and at least three farmhouses. (fn. 81) Little is left now except Ascot Farm, an L-shaped, half-timbered and brick house, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries, and a few other survivals of the great house and its appendages. Ascot was the home for several generations of various members of the Great Milton branch of the Dormer family: Sir Michael Dormer acquired it in 1518, and it passed to his son Ambrose (d. 1566). (fn. 82) Ambrose's widow Jane, who had a life-interest in the house, (fn. 83) took as her second husband William Hawtrey, a London merchant and an original member of the Muscovy company. (fn. 84) In her will made in 1581, Jane speaks of her plate and household stuff at 'my mansion house and grounds called Ascott'.

Here's a trail, showing it in relation to Stadhampton -
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/ascott-park-historical-trail

Wendy

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Margaret -

May I suggest you have a search done in the Oxfordshire FHS's baptism index in their Search Services?  See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk :-)

Wendy

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 December 17 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Margaret -

My 4G grandmother Mary Crutch born c 1786 gave her birthplace as Asket, Oxon in 1851 and 1861 census.

[/quote]

There's an entry on the Oxfordshire Surname Interest List, OXSIL, www.oxsil.org.uk , for CRUTCH in Stadhampton.  You might want to contact the researcher, and also add your own interests there.

Wendy

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.

Will have to do further research, I have always thought Mary was born in Askett.
She later lived in Chearsley, Bucks, a bit closer to Askett than Ascott, but it might be right. Since she was illiterate, the enumerator may have got the place wrong

Thanks again  :)

Margaret

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 December 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Something to ponder, although only vaguely attached by name at Chearsley,
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color].(BucksFHS [/color][/b]Chearsely Transcripts CD).

Baptism - 29 Mar 1812.   Rosetta illegitimate daughter of Mary CRUTCH.
Baptism - 14 May 1815.   Mary illegitimate daughter of Mary CRUCH of Chearsley.
Baptism - 17 Aug 1834.   George illegitimate son of Mary CRUTCH of Chearsley.

Marriage - 6 Feb 1840.  by Banns.
James(x)PIDDINGTON, aged fa, Widower of Upper Winchendon, Labourer son of James Piddington, Labourer.
Mary CRUTCH, aged fa, Spinster of Chearsley daughter of Jonah Rose, Carrier
Witnesses - Alexander Wilson, Stephen Wilson.

That all the events recorded in Chearsley for Crutch and variants.

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/