Author Topic: Ascot/Askett, Oxfordshire - Nr Great Milton?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ascot/Askett, Oxfordshire - Nr Great Milton?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Stephen, I have just looked at this thread again for further reference, and I don't remember seeing your reply.

This is 'my' Mary Crutch/Crouch and family, I am descended from George Crouch born 1834.

I think Jonah Rose is possibly a made up name for father of Mary Crutch who married James Piddington, though it may not be. I have found no other records naming him or for him, he was my 4G grandfather.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
It could also be possible, that Mary Crutch was Illigitimate, and that is her fathers name.   I cannot think why she should make up a name like Jonah Rose.   I would have though it may have been Jonah Crutch, she would have made up.

There maybe another reason.......she could have been born Mary Rose, and married a Mr. Crutch, and he later died. Instead of declaring being a Widow, and effecitively being unmarried, regarded herself a spinster, but keeping the Crutch surname.  It has been known to happen that way.

And why Chearsley, to get married, and not Askett/Ascott etc.

Food for thought though. ???

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Steve, Mary Crutch born c 1787 had 2 illegitimate children Rosetta and Mary jnr, and never married, that I know of.

Mary Crutch jnr was born in Chearsley and had an illegitimate son, George Crutch/Crouch before she married James Piddington. In giving her father's name as Jonah Rose it may have been correct, or complete fabrication. As you say, unusual perhaps to completely make up a name.

But looking now at Great Milton parish registers there was quite a large Cruch/Crutch family as well as the Martin already mentioned in my original post. No Mary Crutch c. 1786, unfortunately.

However, interestingly there was another illegitimate child, Priscilla Crutch daughter of Mary Crutch, baptised 15 Feb 1807, Great Milton. 'My' Mary would have been c. 20 then, so Priscilla, who is easily traceable in census, may have been half or even full sibling to Rosetta and Mary.

The more you look, the more you find, solve one problem, uncover two more, etc.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry.  I got the 2 Mary Crutch's confused. :-[

Mary (Crutch(jnr)), Piddington, 1816, Chearsley.......could well be the daughter of Jonah Rose.  His occupation as a Carrier(deliverer of goods), would take him anywhere.  A bit of a 'fly by night'. ;D

Mary Crutch(snr.), is a widow in 1861, and unmarried in 1851.  Did she marry a James Crutch(widowed), in 1816, Great Milton, with the name of Mary Tempero(a widow).

Sorry if I'm making a hard job of it.....just trying to help. ;)

I'll best leave you to it, as I'm getting rather muddled up. ;D

Steve. :) :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/