Author Topic: Wanted: STONEHAM or BROWN family bible  (Read 3967 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wanted: STONEHAM or BROWN family bible
« on: Monday 11 December 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Back in 2014, I found out about the existence of one Ann(e) Stoneham, very likely my 6xgreat-grandmother. However, the Ancestry tree I saw stated that while she was born in Beckley, Sussex (and married an Edward Brown from Rye), she moved to Oxfordshire, where she eventually died.

I tend to take it with a pinch of salt when I see trees in which people move from one part of the country to the other, especially in the 18th century, but after contacting the person whose tree it is (back in 2014), I was told that she'd been in contact with someone who'd been in contact with a family in New Zealand who have a family bible with the Sussex and Oxfordshire baptisms recorded in it.

Basically, I'm wondering - has anyone on Rootschat seen this bible? I've no doubt that what I've been told is true, but it'd be great to actually see it first-hand.

Thank in advance (and in the expectation of a long wait),

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: STONEHAM or BROWN family bible
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I tend to take it with a pinch of salt when I see trees in which people move from one part of the country to the other, especially in the 18th century

Can't help with the bible, but I would disagree with that statement. People moved around far more than we think, so I wouldn't find it strange that someone moved from Sussex to Oxford. I have direct ancestors who moved from Norfolk to London then Liverpool before back to London.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: STONEHAM or BROWN family bible
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin

While you are waiting,maybe the info I found may help
From the Sussex Marriage Index

An Ann Stoneham married an Edward Brown from Rye 28 Aug 1758 ,at Iden and of the parish.

An Ann Stoneham was baptised at Iden 10 Sept 1731,daughter of Hy(Henry) & Elizabeth

An Ann Stoneham was baptised at Beckley 19 Jul 1733,daughter of James & Ann

Iden is not far from Rye.
From SFHG
Like Groom said,people did travel.

OH  had a 4xGreatgrandfather move from Scotland to Sussex in the 1750s

Hope the above will help

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know