Author Topic: Harry William Stanley Slinger, 1896 - ?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry William Stanley Slinger, 1896 - ?
« on: Monday 11 December 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Harry W S Slinger's birth was registered in Bootle, Lancashire in the 2nd quarter 1896. In 1931 he married Lilian Hilda Haill (born Surrey in 1896) in the Islington area and daughter, Myrna M(ae), was born in the Hendon area in 1936. He appears on Hendon then Harrow electoral rolls for 1934-1937  (as Stanley William Harry Slinger) then cannot find any further trace of him or his family, not even on 1939 Register.
One further record is in the 1934 'London Gazette' which is for the dissolution of the partnership he was in for a company involved in competition solving, using the name Ralph Plummer. Which leads me to believe he is the writer behind that byline for many short stories in magazines in the later 1920s, early 1930s. And further is the person in 1924 newspapers living Wetherall Lodge, Westhouse, near Carnforth or Ingleton and writing competition letters to papers as Ralph Plummer, Harriet Stanley and Sylvie Mangan.

But as I say, I have been unable to find any trace of him and his family after1936 when his daughter was born. I do not think he is the Harry Slinger c1895 to 1946 in Prescot, Lancashire death registration who is most probably the Harry Slinger born Lancashire in 1895 and married Lily Greenwood in 1925 (she died 1955).

With no trace on the 1939 Register, I wonder if he changed the family name(s), left the UK (though nothing in passenger lists, Scottish records, or in overseas records on Ancestry etc, as far as i can see), or the family died in a situation where they were not identified!

Can anyone help with any further information for which I would be most grateful.

Many thanks
John

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Harry William Stanley Slinger, 1896 - ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Lilian's father William died in 1950 leaving a Will.  Probate was granted to Lloyds Bank;  a slight chance that his daughter or grandchild might be mentioned in the Will.  :-\
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have exact dates of birth for Harry/Ralph and Lilian? They might help find a death.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have his parents -

Henry & Teresa  Jane (nee Smout)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)