Author Topic: Aeneas Macintosh Macpherson 1791 - ensign/captain peninsular war  (Read 1702 times)

Offline marthe53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aeneas Macintosh Macpherson 1791 - ensign/captain peninsular war
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 December 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've been busy for a bit!

I appreciate all the info you are giving me but a lot of it goes over my head!  This is because I am just starting to study the history of Scotland.  So here is a question for you:

What is a tacksman?  They seem to have a position of authority.  Are they over the tenants?  Also who are the commissioners?  Are they made up of the English or Scottish or both?

Thanks so much!

Marthe53

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 December 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The Commissioners of the Forfeit Estates were Scottish factors for the Government. Tacksmen held leases (tacks) from the laird, paid the rent & charged their subtenants rent & lived off the difference!  Most of Badenoch was the property of the duke of Gordon so not forfeit & controlled by the Commissioners who in many cases were better to the subtenants than the native tacksmen.

In the case of Badenoch the tack included shielings in the hills for the Summering of cattle, the young & old folk spent their time there from May to October making butter & cheese while the parents stayed at the farm tending the crops. Although rents were generally paid in meal then, those in Badenoch were paid in cattle as the region was an importer of grain due to insufficient arable land. 

Skoosh.

Offline marthe53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all this great information!  Now here come the questions!

When you talk about the Forfeit Estates is that referring to estates that were forfeited to the English government?  And the Commissioners' duties were to manage them?

Second question:  Aeneas had three older brothers who fought in the 59th Regiment and other military units.  Their names were Alexander, Evan and Duncan.  The oldest, Alexander, first began military life as an officer in the Gordon Fencibles.  From there he joined the 59th Infantry Regiment and served at the Cape of Good Hope in Spain.  While still in Spain, his regiment being included in the corps of Sir John Moore, he took part in the famous retreat upon and battle of Coruna, he at that time holding the rank of major.  On arriving in England he was gazetted lieut-colonel; and subsequently held the post of inspecting field officer for the northern counties of Scotland.

It seems I should be able to find more information about Alexander since he was an inspecting field officer. 

The other two brothers, Evan and Duncan, both were killed in India.  Evan was killed at the attack on Fort Cornelius and Duncan killed on the 18th of June as part of the many skirmishes of that day.

Any information is welcomed!

Thanks!

Marthe53 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Estates forfeit by the "British!" Government. The Commissioners acted as factors, the profits raised were used for public projects & the subtenants generally had leases for the first time. The return of these estates to the former owners sons at the time of the French wars was generally a backward step. Rack-renting & clearance of the tenants followed.

Skoosh.

Offline marthe53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 January 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!