Author Topic: John Evans  (Read 1962 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Evans
« on: Monday 11 December 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise me if this baptism gives John as a shoemaker/cordwainer

christening: John Evans   10 December 1815   St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex, England parents John and Isabella

Thanks

Eileen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Evans
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
It says that the father was a Soldier in the 55th Foot
abode Barracks

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Jonw65

Thanks for that I looked at the 55th Foot and John Evans records I believe are on Find my past so will ask my friend to look for all the details as I don't have access to FindMyPast.  It says he was born in Holywell and that he served in Ireland.  His daughter Elizabeth my great great grandmother recorded on the 1841 census recorded she was born in Ireland.

If it is him his wife Isabella on the 1841 census with John and two other children in Liverpool recorded she and John (the son) was born out of the county. 

Do you know whether they had trades prior to joining the army as my John Evans became a shoemaker.

Eileen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
They generally have a trade/occupation given on their enlistment.
But I don't have access to the John Evans army record either. It says on discovery that he was discharged age 44, and that seems to be in 1821.
Do you have a death/burial for your man in Liverpool, if so does the age fit with that?
John

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Thanks for getting back.  The John Evans I am looking for was a shoemaker who died in Circus Street Liverpool aged 53 in 1833 so only a couple of years out.

He married someone named Isabella and they had 7 children 5 of who were born in Liverpool from 1823 - 1831.

Isabella lived until 1848 so was on the 1841 census.  She was born 1796 and her son John born circa 1816 both were recorded as being born out of the county. Isabella was living off her own means.

My great great grandmother Elizabeth Evans married Robert Forshaw in 1841 and was a minor.
On the census of the same year she was recorded as being born circa 1820 not in county and an I in the second column which is Ireland I believe.

The only John Evans born circa 1816 with parents John and Isabella Evans I have found is the one in Brighton Essex which you kindly told me was his father was a soldier living in the barracks.

When I checked with the archives the records said he was born in Holywell Wales (lots of Welsh went to Liverpool) I think it also read that he had served in Ireland so that would also fit with Elizabeth being born in Ireland.

This is the best lead I have had so far I have been chasing my tail and getting very frustrated. Not convinced this is the right one yet but it's the best so far  :-\

Thanks for your help

Eileen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen
Well, I have managed to get a look at the army record. There's not a lot of it! But it does say that by trade or occupation John was a Shoemaker.

So it is certainly looking promising.
Add to which John was discharged in Ireland in 1821, and your Elizabeth says that she was born in Ireland, possibly around that time?

So that is Elizabeth and husband Robert in the same street (Milton Street) as Isabella Evans in 1841? With Robert being a blacksmith.
And Robert and Elizabeth Forshaw witnessed the marriage of John Evans and Emma Newsham at St Peter Liverpool, 5 July 1845. John being a blacksmith of Milton Street, father John Evans, Shoe Maker.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96J-K65Y?cat=122430

So far everything looks good. I think in 1851 John says he was born London. Which if not Brighton, where that baptism was, is at least a long way from Liverpool!
John

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

I had a good feeling about this and everything you said in your last post looks correct for my ancestors. Just need to find the marriage of John Evans and Isabella between 1812-1816 (Isabella wasn't born until 1796 according to death 1848 aged 52 and census 1841 in Milton Street.

On the marriage of John Evans jnr the signature looks the same as the one on his sisters marriage of 1841.

I have also found a baptism in Holywell for 1780 for a John Evans but unfortunately it doesn't give any parents names.

I can't thank you enough for the information you have given me.

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Sorry to trouble you but do you think you could have a look at

christening: Elizabeth Evans daughter of John & Isabella Evans.
4 December 1831
ST BOTOLPH BISHOPSGATE, LONDON, LONDON, ENGLAND

I doubt it is anything to do with my history but have to check?  Still not found my Elizabeth's birth 1821 but it was supposedly in Ireland and just wondered if they had forgot to register her or that the LDS got the wrong date.

These Evans have me pulling my hair out.

Also is there a date when John left the 55th regiment and returned to being a shoemaker.  He was living in Liverpool by the birth of his 3rd child Thomas as a shoemaker in 1823 with Isabella his wife.

I am wondering if they had John baptised and registered in Brighton because they weren't married can't find a marriage for John and Isabella but don't know if being in the army would have their own registration.

Thanks for all your help it's much appreciated.

Eileen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen
The baptism in Bishopsgate was on the date you gave. Father John Evans was a Carpenter. Possibly two more there later to the same couple.

I'm afraid that I can still see no sign of your Elizabeth's birth/baptism.
However, a development.
John's birth is in the GRO Regimental Birth Indices
John Evans
place Brighton
year 1815
regiment 55th
vol 1088 page 3

There are at least a few more Evans registrations around that time with the 55th Foot given as the regiment. But with the name being Evans, they may not all relate to John and Isabella!
I noticed Jane Evans because she was on the same page as John
She is 1818, Jersey, vol 1088 page 15

And there is a baptism in St Helier that is interesting (on ancestry)
6 November 1818, Jane, daughter of John Evans & of Isabella Skelton his wife

It doesn't say that John was in the army. But then occupations weren't being given anyway. Names of godparents are there.

There was another one in St Helier, the year before!
5 October 1817, Margueret, daughter of John Evans & of Isabella Skelton his wife.
Godparents Hugh Mitchell, William Smith, Ann Mitchell, Margueret Smith
But I don't think that she is in the army birth indexes.

So the marriage for that couple must surely not be in Jersey, but in London!
5 January 1813, at All Hallows Barking
John Evans + Isabella Skelton.
witnessed by Hugh Mitchell, Margaret ?

If those were the daughters of the army John being baptized in Jersey, I would have wondered whether the godparents were going to be significant. Yet the name Hugh Mitchell pops up.

Perhaps I am reading too much into all this? There was even another 55th Foot John Evans army birth in 1819 in Jersey in those indexes, it is a common name.
It would also be good to know where the 55th were before Brighton.
John