Author Topic: Westmains Farm, Bathgate  (Read 2198 times)

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westmains Farm, Bathgate
« on: Monday 11 December 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
does anyone have any info on Walker family at Westmains Farm, Bathgate, in the 1860's? My great grandfather was born there
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Westmains Farm, Bathgate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Can you be a bit more specific? What do you already know about your great-grandfather and his family? This will save helpful RootsChatters duplicating what you have already done.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bathgatejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have also been researching the Walker family name and it looks like your Robert born 1863 is a younger brother of my ancestor William who was born in 1844. Their parents were William Walker and Margaret Arthur.
We have recently been to Bathgate in our search and found the memorial stone for the family. West Main Farm as previous mentioned no longer appears to exist as a farm and we were unsuccessful in finding it.
We also visited the Beanie museum in Bathgate which had some photos of Walkers who may well be linked to us.

Do get in touch if you wish and we could exchange notes

Kindest regards

Bathgatejohn

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
West Mains is still on the map, though it may no longer be a farm.
See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9567

Or the second edition of the six-inch Ordnance Survey map
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8879&lon=-3.6665&layers=6&b=1

If you slide the blue dot on the old map to the left, you can see the satellite view.

On the first edition it is called New Mains.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi John, sounds like the same family, my grandfather was Robert Walker born c1900 and died c1979
My mother,s side. Have no info on this side of the family so any details would be appreciated. Where is the museum in Bathgate?
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline Bathgatejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I do think there may be a connection here but need to look further into what we have found so far. In the meantime, the museum is called the Bennie museum and its in Mansfield Street Bathgate. They have a website if you google it. There’s a little car park opposite but seems to be always full so we parked further down the street. The Robert we have found in our family tree was born 1883 so will have to look further into our notes to see any connection. Will be in touch when more found.

Best wishes

John