Author Topic: Joseph Smith, New Invention, Willenhall, Staffs?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Smudge.Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Smith, New Invention, Willenhall, Staffs?
« on: Monday 11 December 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Probably a long shot being a Smith but I need some help making sure I have the right Smith in my family
It seems like Joseph appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as easily. The first record I can find of him is his christening 14 June 1812 at St. Giles, Willenhall, Stafford, England with reference to his Mother Mary and father listed as G Smith.
I've traced what I think to be him through the various census (1851 was almost indecipherable and poorly transcripted but pretty confidant that the family is his based on later census transcription. Married to Catharine (Tarbuck) also known as Caroline down the family line Henry, Uriah, Harry, Anthony and me.
The only Joseph Smith I can find in 1841 Census was in Shorth Heath (near New Invention) but was married to Emma and had two kids (different names that don't appear in later New Invention census).
How do I know which is 'my' Joseph Smith? How can I find out when /  where he was born (assuming 1812 as christenings seemed to be performed shortly after the birth? Assuming was born in Willenhall as christened there. Also no death details although 1861 census show Catharine / Caroline as head of the family so he's either dead by the time of 1861 census or moved on and abandoned the family.

Any info around Joseph and his Mother / Father greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Smith, New Invention, Willenhall, Staffs?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, where did you find the baptism record?  I looked on the Wolverhampton Archives website and it shows Joseph as illegitimate son of Mary, no mention of the father.  :-\

Willenhall St Giles's Baptisms 1642-1812 A-Y
SMITH Joseph son of Mary - illegitimate 14 Jun 1812

http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes

Added:  FreeREG also shows the same information - illegitimate son of Mary
https://www.freereg.org.uk/
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
How can you be so sure the 1812 baptism you found is your Joseph.  The 1851 census has his age as 39 (about 1812) but ages are not always reliable on the census.

There is also this baptism at St. Giles Willenhall 17 Feb 1811, Joseph, son of Benjamin and Ann Smith.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Are these your Smith family in 1911/1901/1891

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW71-2YC

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS71-M33
Henry age 57 - Sarah 59 - Rose Hannah 21 - Uriah 15

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WS5L-5MM
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thought we were looking for Joseph not Henry  :D

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thought we were looking for Joseph not Henry  :D

Willow x

Just making sure we are looking at the right family by tracking backwards.  Mistakes are so easily made especially with Smith's  ;D

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
and don't forget the Jones lol

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Uriah & Rosanna's Birth reg give mmn Butler
Marriage to Sarah Butler gives Henry's occ as Engine Tenter age 31 -father Joseph (Dead)

Joseph's marriage to Catherine Tarbuck gives father as G. Smith (decd).  Is this where you got the information about his father and not the baptism as you have mentioned  :-\

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
right

Joseph buried 31.1.1854 Union Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Willenhall aged 52 of Lane Head Engineer

marriage certificate lists his father as G Smith which I think is fictitious so it looks like the illegitimate baptism fits

Willow x

(Snap  ;D)