Author Topic: Mother's maiden name is the same as the father's surname  (Read 5020 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's maiden name is the same as the father's surname
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Also on the 1841 in Wolsingham there is a George Gardiner aged 10 , father James (a Lead Ore Miner) and mother Ann and several siblings. Possibly George, but if not it shows how common the name is.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Bloody hell, am I an inbred!?

I wonder if tjh1989 has been given flawed biological information about 'breeding'  :o  :-\

Just because the two parties to a marriage have same surname as each other prior to their marriage does not mean that it follows that there will be adverse consanguinity matters needing consideration simply because the couple formally marry each other.  The matter of consanguinity does not need a piece of paper to show a formal, legal marriage relationship between two people, who through their (domestic) relationship become parents.   

Nor do two people who are in a close biological relationship (and have children together) need to have the same surname as each other, whether they marry each other or not.   First cousins for example may have same surname, but may well have different surnames ….  Even where there’s formal marriage registrations, even double first cousins can of course have different surnames from each other. 

http://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/fact-sheet-18-when-parents-are-relatives-consanguinity 

JM  I have modified the post by adding words in parentheses. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
3 pages of replies on this topic and not one person has asked which County Wolsingham, Weardale is in.
For all of you County Durham researchers Durham Records Online has 282 pages of  Gardiners in the County of Durham. In Weardale alone 42 pages. 15 Gardiners per page. The life of a Lead Minter can be short. Expect that if researching in the area.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
When I was a little girl, evacuated to Shropshire the lady with whom I lived for most of that time married a man whose surname was the same as her maiden name,so she did not change her name on marriage.
It was a very common name in that area .
Just as in Welsh villages there are so many Jones, Evans, Williams etc.
perhaps this is the answer.
Viktoria.

As you get in Wales, lots of Evans, Jones
Williams etc.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm thinking that its either a Gardiner marrying a Gardiner (unlikely!) or that the mother was born out of wedlock? Although if it's the latter why would you take the name of your husband!?

Here's the marriage - it was a Gardiner marrying a Gardiner:

29 Jun 1848: George Gardiner (bachelor, engineer), age 23, of Shildon, son of George Gardiner (engineer) married Jane Gardiner (spinster), age 21, of Wiserley High House, daughter of Michael Gardiner (farmer)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
So that looks as if it is Jane’s family I found in 1841, but not George’s family.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
She was a Gardiner before she married

My grandmother married a man with the same surname, so my mother and her siblings birth certificate are as you describe (I did wonder if they'd be related if I go back far enough but in actual fact several generations further back and they are spreading further apart geographically so I doubt it) - and it's not a hugely common name

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
BTW my grandmother said when they got married they also had to provide details of grandparents as well (presumably to prove they weren't too closely related) - however that may be because both of their mothers were Beatrice (different maiden names but their married name were Identical - and their father's names similar - Albert and Arthur)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 census
HO107; Piece: 308; Book: 18; Folio: 4; Page: 2; Line: 22 Wolsingham, there is this family

Michael  Gardiner 60   Ag Lab
Jane      Gardiner   40
Hannah  Gardiner  12
Margaret Gardiner  10
Sarah     Gardiner   6
Elizabeth Gardiner   2

Also on the same image, but at different addresses there is a Jane Gardiner 14, a Female Servant and a Phebe Gardiner 15 also a female servant. So possibly the two older daughters had been sent out to work.

That looks a good possibility. In 1841 Michael and family are living at Wigside. Jane is at Low Wiserly, a neighbouring farm to the north-east. On the marriage certificate she is described as being resident at High Wiserley, which is a neighbouring farm to the north-west, all clearly seen here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=408067&Y=535905&A=Y&Z=115