Author Topic: Mother's maiden name is the same as the father's surname  (Read 4993 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's maiden name is the same as the father's surname
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be father George in 1851 in Shildon

George Gardiner 49 b Wolsingham engineer
Elizabeth Gardiner 49 b Wolsingham
Children
Jane 24 b Chester le Street
John 22 b Wolsingham
Michael 20 b Shildon
Frances 18 b Shildon
Benjamin14b Bolton, Lancs.
Elizabeth 12 b Bolton
Francis 9 b Shildon
William 3 Shildon

Looking at places of birth they could be in Lancs. or co Durham in 1841

There also appears to be an interesting will for a Frances Gardiner of Wosingham died 1855 on the North east inheritance database - her nephew George Gardiner of Shildon is one of her legatees.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Not only do I have first cousins marrying - her father and his mother were brother and sister. Also my paternal grandmother was a Smith as was my paternal grandfather - two different families, one originated Harrogate and the other Sunderland.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be father George in 1851 in Shildon

George Gardiner 49 b Wolsingham engineer
Elizabeth Gardiner 49 b Wolsingham
Children
Jane 24 b Chester le Street
John 22 b Wolsingham
Michael 20 b Shildon
Frances 18 b Shildon
Benjamin14b Bolton, Lancs.
Elizabeth 12 b Bolton
Francis 9 b Shildon
William 3 Shildon

Looking at places of birth they could be in Lancs. or co Durham in 1841

There also appears to be an interesting will for a Frances Gardiner of Wosingham died 1855 on the North east inheritance database - her nephew George Gardiner of Shildon is one of her legatees.

William

Elizabeth Gardner birth registered Bolton 1838, mother's maiden name Wharton
Francis Gardiner birth registered Auckland 1844 mother's maiden name Wharton

I notice they had an elder brother Michael. Jane's father was also Michael. Coincidence or relations? Was Michael a common name in Durham at that time?
Cowban

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Marriage in Wolsingham 23Dec 1822 George Gardner and Elizabeth Wharton - witnesses Hannah Gardner and John Gardner

Baptism Wolsingham 8 March 1802(born13 Feb) George Gardener son of George Gardener and Hannah Gardener

Marriage Wolsingham 11 July 1790 George Gardener and Hannah Gardener

(Baptism Wolsingham for Hannah Gardener27 Feb 1804 parents George Gardener and Hannah Gardener states 3rd daughter, father native of Frosterley and mother native of Wolsingham).

So it would appear not the first Gardener / Gardener (or variations) marriage in Wolsingham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Baptism Wolsingham 8 March 1802(born13 Feb) George Gardener son of George Gardener and Hannah Gardener

Marriage Wolsingham 11 July 1790 George Gardener and Hannah Gardener

So it would appear not the first Gardener / Gardener (or variations) marriage in Wolsingham.

William

I wonder if OP has green fingers  ;D
Cowban

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
tjh1989, folks have given you some useful information here, it would be good to hear from you  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
tjh1989, folks have given you some useful information here, it would be good to hear from you  :)

I wonder if tjh1989 isn't getting email notifications of answers to the post, as they were last online at at 12:34 today?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I would add the following to this discussion. I have a cousin (not with my surname) who lived in Gretton, Northamptonshire who his called house "Craxford House" because the maiden name of both his grandmothers was Craxford (they were first cousins once removed). The house and sign are still there. Consanguineous marriage is far commoner than expected, particulalry in rural communities.

I was in conversion with a Professor of Social Anthropology in the US who made the following observation: "In a population of between three and five hundred people, after six generations or so there are only third cousins or closer to marry. During most of human history, people have lived in small, isolated communities of about that size, and have in fact probably been closer to the genetic equivalent of first cousins, because of their multiple consanguinity. In nineteenth-century rural England, for instance, the radius of the average isolate, or pool of potential spouses, was about five miles, which was the distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off, when he went courting- his roaming area by daylight. The bicycle extended the radius to twenty five miles. "**

Alan

** Shoumatoff, Alex: The Mountain of Names: A history of the human Family with introduction by Robin Fox; Kodansha International, New York, USA (1995). ISBN 1-56836-071-1
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 December 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Newfloridian post # 34.
My GF when asked once why he'd left his rural community replied "Because there was no one left to marry". That is, no one except young women to whom he was  already related several times over.
Cowban