Author Topic: Pattinson & Co and Mary Pattison  (Read 856 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Pattinson & Co and Mary Pattison
« on: Monday 11 December 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I have listed what I know of Thomas Pattison. Ideally I would like to know more about Pattison & Co (was it just a one man show; or were others involved?); and who Mary Pattison is.

25 Dec 1806   Tynemouth              Thomas Pattison m Jane Sto(l)ker
On the licence he is aged 21, from Shadwell, London.  In the newspaper he was ‘Capt T Pattison’

Baptisms (children of Thomas and Margaret Pattison):
1808 Tynemouth   John Stolker Pattison
1812 Stepney      Margaret Stoker Pattison   Master mariner
1815 Stepney      Francis Robinson Pattison    Master mariner
         (Mary, Jane’s sister, married Thomas Robinson, mariner, in London in 1813)

1814-1817      Thomas Pattison rented in Commercial Road, Ratcliff

7 Apr 1832   Margaret Stoker Pattison m John Brown with the consent of ‘Thomas Pattison the lawful father of the said minor’

15 Nov 1832   Will of Thomas Pattison, mariner of Commercial Road, proved (written 1825). Mentions wife Jane.
   Witness was Mary Pattison of Commercial Road
(Longshot: Stodart Pattison from Northumberland (who had a brother Thomas b 1787) m Mary Gunn in London in 1808; a sister living with him is just as likely)

Thomas Pattison appears in newspapers as commander of the trading brig Palladium. This site states that the ship was built in Sunderland in 1814 and was owned by ‘Pattison & Co’ from 1818-1832: http://www.searlecanada.org/sunderland/sunderland119.html#1814
The dates suggest Thomas was acting alone.

1841      Jane (50) and Francis (20) Pattison living in Commercial Road
1851      Jane Pattison, 64, widow, b North Shields (she died in 1860)

(Pattison seems quite a common name for mariners! An earlier Thomas Pattison, mariner of Bethnal Green, left a will in 1801)

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pattinson & Co and Mary Pattison
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There looks to be more of his family.
James Robinson Pattinson age 30 buried Tower Hamlet Cemetery 9? Terrace Commercial Road 5th July 1846 from consumption Stepney  -owner of grave Thomas Pattinson 9 Osborn Terrace Commercial Road East  Master mariner .So James  born 1816.no 534
I'm assuming this is Francis who on the grave ledger for all interments Jane Pattinson is buried 1860 with Francis Robinson Pattinson buried 1846.
But there must be another Thomas Pattinson ,perhaps a son alive in 1846,who owns the grave.

There is a Thomas Pattison obtaining his Masters Cert 14 Jan 1848 second class.
Born 1810 he is living at 4 Brunswick Terrace Commercial Road East when he qualifies first class 24 March 1851.He is trading from the Port of Sunderland.

And there is a baptism at St Paul's Shadwell 6 Jan 1811 born 8 Dec 1810  of 18 King David Lane ,father Thomas master mariner.

It looks like Thomas took over his father's business

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne mercury 1849

ON SALE, QUANTITY of COD OIL of very superior quality. * Apply to THOMAS PATTINSON & CO., Indian Kings' Court. Newcastle, Feb. 9, 1849.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pattinson & Co and Mary Pattison
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. I did know about Thomas Pattison who became a master mariner in 1851 (and should have changed the post but hadn't seen Frances' death or the burial entries.

You may be right about Thomas PattiNson & co', although I think Thomas claims to have been based in Commercial Road then. That said, I haven't found him in any census yet.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk