Author Topic: Searching for Barrand, Tindall, Sandall and Robinson familes in Lincolnshire  (Read 2090 times)

Offline joannemcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I can get back to 1600's with some of the families, but not much information. My mother was Jewel Barrand and have traced back to Lincolnshire.  Rebecca Tindall married Thomas Barrand in 1786 in Cranweli.   I have a tree on ancestry that I can share but please let me know if you have any info. Thank you!!!
Barrand - Lincolnshire
Robinson - Lincolnshire
Sandall - Lincolnshire
Tindall - Lincolnshire
Reeler - Lincolnshire
Challance - Lincolnshire
Kirk - Lincolnshire
Dawson, Butterworth and Lancashire, Lancashire
Walton, Cutting and Tebay, Westmorland
Hampton, Fellows, Briscoe, Fletcher, Collins, Careless, Welch ,Dixon - West Midlands (Wolverhampton/Sedgley)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Barrand, Tindall, Sandall and Robinson familes in Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joanne & welcome. Have you put the names on the surnames interests list? If not, click on "Surname Interests" on brown section at bottom of this page.
Cowban

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Barrand, Tindall, Sandall and Robinson familes in Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne, welcome to Rootschat

My 3 x g.grandfather John Brand married an Elizabeth Barrand, in St Denys Parish Church, Sleaford on 25 May 1809.  Elizabeth was born in 1786 according to her age at her death but the only baptism I can find is of an Elizabeth Barran on 4 August 1786, parents William and Alice.  She died on 27 November 1842 and was buried on 29 November 1842 in St Denys Parish Church, Sleaford.

Do you have Elizabeth Barrand in your tree?

Lizzie

Offline joannemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for replying!  I don't have Elizabeth born 1786 in my tree.  I do have a William who was brother to Thomas, my 4th GGrandfather and was born 1750 in Kelby.  So in theory, he could have been father to Elizabeth but I can't find a marriage between William and an Alice. I think it is highly likely that Elizabeth is part of the Barrand family I have in my tree, because they are all in the Sleaford area. Perhaps we are linked a bit further back though. Also, the name Barrand is frequently spelt differently (Barrond, Barron, Bairond, Barrant) so I am pretty sure your record with Barran is the right record. My family had a theory that the Barrands were huguenots, but I have not found evidence of that, other than Barrand is also found as a French last name. My Barrand tree extends to Joseph Barrand b. 1665, I can send you a link to my ancestry.com tree if you can let me have an email to invite you. Welcome to the Barrands!
Joanne
Barrand - Lincolnshire
Robinson - Lincolnshire
Sandall - Lincolnshire
Tindall - Lincolnshire
Reeler - Lincolnshire
Challance - Lincolnshire
Kirk - Lincolnshire
Hampton, Fellows, Briscoe, Fletcher, Collins, Careless, Welch ,Dixon - West Midlands (Wolverhampton/Sedgley)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
In my index

William BARRAND married Alice FIELDS 1779 at Scredington

EDIT: about 6 miles from Kelby - map http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=504279&Y=341031&A=Y&Z=126

EDIT2: Marriage register here (top right) https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=531527&iid=346253
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline joannemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Geoff!

This is great information and it does look very likely to be the parents of Elizabeth, which means for Lizzie our shared ancestors are Joseph Barrand born 1721 baptised in Heydour (probably living in Kelby) 2 April 1721.  and his wife Elizabeth Sandall born in Rippingale 1719. Baptised 20 Mar 1719. Joseph is the father of Thomas Barrand and William Barrand.

Thanks!!  Joanne
Barrand - Lincolnshire
Robinson - Lincolnshire
Sandall - Lincolnshire
Tindall - Lincolnshire
Reeler - Lincolnshire
Challance - Lincolnshire
Kirk - Lincolnshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Joanne - As William Barrand is my 4 x g.grandfather and Thomas is your 4 x g.grandfather and they share the same father, we share 5 x g.grandparents so, apparently we are 6th cousins.  :)

I've sent you my email address by PM as I'd love to have a look at your tree on Ancestry.

Lizzie

ps.  Thanks also to Geoff for finding the marriage details of William Barrand and Alice Fields on Lincstothepast.  That enabled me to find them on FindMyPast.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, looking at the Heydour parish record for the baptism of William Barrand, it shows that William was baptised on 5 August 1750 to "John Joseph and Elizabeth Barrand of Kelby", with John crossed out as I've shown and Joseph substituted.  This might be because at the top of the page of the parish register beginning 1749 it states: The register for the two following years in the absence of the vicar is imperfect, the names given in to ? are as follows.

I couldn't find a baptism for Thomas Barrand, in 1750, but I found a baptism for him on 6 May 1762, parents Joseph and Elizabeth Barrand of Kelby.  I also found the following children all of Kelby, baptised at Heydour:

John baptised 18 May 1755
Edward baptised 5 March 1758
Mary baptised 15 January 1760
Robert baptised 4 January 1764, buried 8 January 1764
Robert baptised 26 January 1766

I found the marriage for Joseph Barrand and Elizabeth Sandal (only 1 L shown) on 7 May 1744 in the parish of Heydour, so I was surprised that William appears to be their first child born in 1750.  I've looked for other baptisms and even burials and the only other burial of a child of Joseph and Elizabeth that I found was a John buried on 18 August 1754, giving 10 months before the baptism of the next John on 18 May 1755.

Do you have more information than this Joanne?

Offline joannemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Thanks for the info! I have the siblings that you list, I also have the first John, 6 Mar 1753 - 18 Aug 1754.  I just did another search for Heydour and found Sarah Barron baptised 5 Aug 1744, parents Joseph and Elizabeth.  However that still leaves a gap between Sarah and William in 1750.  I wonder if the records are incomplete for that time period.  I also don't see any other children with Joseph Barrand as their father when I search the whole of Lincolnshire on FreeReg although you may have more luck on Find My Past bearing in mind you may have to search for Barron and Barrond as well as Barrand!!
Joanne
Barrand - Lincolnshire
Robinson - Lincolnshire
Sandall - Lincolnshire
Tindall - Lincolnshire
Reeler - Lincolnshire
Challance - Lincolnshire
Kirk - Lincolnshire