Author Topic: Could you date or improve photo of Grt Grandmother Eliza Ann Simpson with Baby?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am attaching a copy of a photo of my paternal Great Grandmother who was called Eliza Ann Simpson at birth in 1869.  (Eliza's mother was born as Lucy Gamesby.  The latter married twice to Thomas Simpson then John Parkinson.  Lucy was also known as Louisa.)  I had this copy of the photo of Eliza holding Baby made from the original which belongs to my cousin. 

My cousin believes that the baby in the photo was her Mother who is now deceased.  However, I have my doubts as her Mother was born in late 1929 and I think the clothes are old fashioned for around that time.

I think the baby is more likely to have  our Grandmother who was Eliza's only child.  Our Grandmother was born on 23 November 1892.

It could also be possible that the baby may have been our Aunt who was born on 4 July 1910.  Also now deceased. 

Could anyone date the photo so we can try to ascertain which one of the three above the baby was most likely to have been?  Also, if anyone can improve the quality of the photo we would be most grateful.

Thanks in anticipation :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could you date or improve photo of Grt Grandmother Eliza Ann Simpson with Baby?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if your cousin would be kind enough to re-scan the original and provide an image that is a more direct true copy. The image above already has a lot of digital artifacts that make a decent restoration difficult. Either the scanner has some "improvement" settings or someone has already done some work on it. A straight scan at 300dpi may get some better results.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could you date or improve photo of Grt Grandmother Eliza Ann Simpson with Baby?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response Handypandy.  My cousin doesn't have a scanner.  I borrowed her photograph last year and took this to the photographers to have a copy made - which is what you can see.

Oh well, if it can't be improved, I wonder if anyone might be able to offer any suggestions regarding what date it may have been taken?  Cousin thinks around 1930 she thinks baby was her now deceased Mother.  I think either 1893 and it is my Grandma born 1892 or Grandma's firstborn, our deceased aunt born 1910.

I would love to hear anyone's opinions regarding this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
My guess would be early 1890s. Definitely not 1920s and I don't think 1910s. Dating experts will be along to confirm (or deny :D) my estimate.  Will have a go at restoring later but have to go out for a few hours. Unfortunately, as Andy says, not a good basis to work from, but some improvement can be made
Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
This image is very blurred as you will see from the enlarged portion, however I have tried to improve it for you,
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
One with colour added
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Two from me. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Just finished nightshift and want to say a very big thank you to Peter and Pat for your different versions of the photo.  :) This has been great to see the different styles.  The colour one looks like a painting - fantastic! :D

Yaay! I am glad to hear that your opinion Peter is that the photo is around the early 1890s which is what I think too.  I am convinced that the baby is most likely to be my cousin's and my Grandmother who died a few years before we were both born.  She was the only child of Eliza and her Father George Davies/Davis.  Eliza remarried after being widowed to James McKettrick.  (Several spellings have been found regarding his surname.  If it is my Grandmother then the photo probably dates to about 1894.  I agree that the photo looks too old fashioned to be around the time when my cousin's Mother was born in 1929.  This is who she believes the photo to be of.  I promised to get around to having this dated on RootsChat.  Does anyone else agree with Peter and me on the time period of the photo?  I don't mind if anyone disagrees we (cousin and I) both just want to try to establish the true date period of the photo. :)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Although not much to see I can tell you this is Edwardian 1905-10 & possibly up to WW1.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/