Author Topic: Latin Translation of Marriage Allegation  (Read 1583 times)

Offline sgf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Latin Translation of Marriage Allegation
« on: Tuesday 12 December 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Could anyone please help with a translation of the Latin section of the attached marriage allegation which I understand relates to Richard Mousley of Atherstone, Warwickshire and Jane Towe of Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire.

Thank you - Simon

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Translation of Marriage Allegation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

=====
May all men know by these presents that we, Richard Mousely of Atherston in the county of Warwick, chandler, and Joseph Painter of Nuneaton in the same county, tailor, are held and firmly bound to Henry Raynes, Doctor of Laws, Vicar-General in spiritual matters for the diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, in (the sum of) one hundred pounds of good and lawful money of Great Britain to be paid to the same Henry Raynes or to his certain attorney, his executors, administrators or assigns; for this very payment we well and faithfully bind ourselves, and each one of us for himself for the whole and undivided sum, (and we bind) our heirs, executors & administrators firmly by these presents. Sealed with our seals. Given the thirty-first day of the month of July in the (third)* year of the reign of our lord George, by the grace of God King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and in the year of the Lord 1717.

* the number of the regnal year has been omitted
=====

I think you may need to remove the full image, as it is clearly subject to copyright restrictions. We're allowed to post small extracts only, for deciphering purposes.

Offline sgf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - for the welcome, the translation & the advice re copyright!

But the translation raises a further query - what connection (if any) did Joseph Painter and Richard Mousley have?  I know that Richard Mousley went on to marry Jane Towe (as is perhaps made clearer by the writing on the rear of the allegation), but what role would Joseph Painter have played in events?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
The first extract is not an allegation but a bond -- a promise to make a payment if certain conditions are not met. The conditions are normally set out in the second paragraph (in English, below the Latin).

Joseph Painter was acting as 'bondsman', in support of Richard Mousely. He may have been a relative, but not necessarily – a bondsman might be a close friend, business associate, etc., and bonds don't normally state relationships. His chief role in this context was to support the groom in paying the penalty, in the unlikely event that there should turn out to be a legal impediment to the marriage.

Your second extract is simply an instruction for a licence to be granted so that the minister can marry them. You will need to look elsewhere for a record of the marriage itself ...

=====
Let a licence be given to the minister of Mancetter for a marriage between Richard Mously of Atherston in the county of Warwick, chandler, aged 22, and Jane Towe of Chilvers Coton in the aforesaid county, spinster, aged 21. The aforesaid Richard Mously and Joseph Painter of Nuneaton, tailor, were bound.
Richard Mously was sworn before me, John Foxcroft, surrogate.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Richard Mously and Jane Towe married 1 August 1717 at Mancetter.  Just a single line entry - image available on Ancestry.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sgf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again - for the further translation and explanation - it all makes sense now.

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I have another License issued by the good Doctor. Most of it is readable  - License Joseph Adams and Elizabeth Tampson 1718 Aston  - but I cannot firstly establish where Aston is and secondly which church permission was granted in (it looks like ......bury).

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the back?

The church is St Werburg(h), Derby, so maybe they were from Aston-on-Trent, about 7 miles away?

The bride's surname is written Tomson.

=====
ADDED (from the back) ...

Derbiæ septembris 8: 1718
Fiat Licentia matrimonialis inter
Josephum Adams p(arochi)æ Aston ætatis
annorum 24 Cælibem, & Elizabetham
Tomson eiusdem pa(rochiæ) natam annos
21 solutam

Obligati fuere dictus
Adams & Georgius
Pycroft[?] & Jurati coram
me Johanne Bradbury

Ministro de
sancta Wareburga
in oppido Derbiæ

At Derby, 8 September 1718
Let there be a licence for marriage between Joseph Adams, of the parish of Aston, aged 24 years, bachelor, and Elizabeth Tomson, of the same parish, aged 21, spinster

The said Adams and George Pycroft[?] were bound and sworn before me, John Bradbury

To the minister of St Werburgh in the town of Derby

=====
The Obligation (which is above the Condition that you posted) states that Joseph was a shoemaker.

The parish register shows they married the same day at St Werburgh, both of Aston.

Offline rspltd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
DUH  - no I didn't but to be fair I hadn't got the whole document. Many thank for your translation - unfortunately not mine