Author Topic: Rev. Hohaia NGAHIWI d. Hukanui, Waikato September 13, 1894  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Rev. Hohaia NGAHIWI d. Hukanui, Waikato September 13, 1894
« on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora

Anglican Rev Hohaia NGAHIWI died at Hukanui, Waikato on September 13th 1894 and was interred at Taupiri on Saturday the fifteenth.

Hohaia was one of the early graduates, of the Rev Morgan’s CMS Otawhao Mission School [Te Awamutu], rising to become it’s School Principal when in 1863 the Mission staff had to vacate due the Maori uprising. Hohaia and his family stayed on for a year, as caretaker and protector of the Mission facilities.

In 1864 the Crown leased the facilities for a garrison, and the Rev NGAHIWI relocated to Hopuhopu and joined the faculty at the Taupiri CMS Mission.

His pastoral care area included the Maori community at Hukanui, where he was later to settle. He became a very respected elder, and in his later years was a secretary to King Tawhiao, who died a few weeks before Hohaia, on August 26th, 1894.

In fact, just six months earlier, Hukanui could be said to have been the first Turangawaewae [a place to stand]. Under Hohaia’s stewardship Hukanui had hosted Maori Affairs Minister & Premier, Richard SEDDON, when the Government of the day, came as a delegation to Hukanui, and not Hukanui to Wellington. A special dining hall was built for the visit.

All the major newspapers devoted large column inches to report on the visit, with the local Waikato Times devoting a page and a third to the trip. Such was the Hukanui occasion, that met for over five hours.

A Mr Reid and a Mr Day [sic DEY Borough Councillor ?] of Hamilton are reported as having photographed the trip, and the big meeting attended by several hundred Maori. Yet to find any surviving evidence of those photos that were taken.

My extensive research, and a large archive of press clippings I can make available to living descendants, however I don’t subscribe to social media, and have no subscription to any of the family tree registering sites.

The surnames of POURAU and of TAUTA have recently posted material on GENi re Hohaia but I have no way of making contact. If anyone can facilitate an introduction via the RootsChat PM service, I would be happy to share what I have.

Our Pioneer Heritage research is my hobby.

-   Alan.

PS can supply more info about Pourau via PM as still alive.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hohaia NGAHIWI d. Hukanui, Waikato September 13, 1894
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

For the record, more research has revieled that the press of the day gave him an honorary Rev., in fact he was what is called in the Anglican faith, a 'Lay Reader' so not fully ordained.

This has been confirmed by the Rev'd Father Michael XXXXX, Anglican priest and historian.

QUOTE -
Thanks for your enquiry. Congratulations on such a worthwhile research.

Hohaia was a licensed lay reader certainly.  A layreader’s  license gave him authority to take Sunday services, particularly matins and evensong, and to teach and train the people, to do baptisms, and take funerals. As well as to have pastoral responsibilities in that community. In his case the licence was first from Bishop Selwyn as bishop of New Zealand, and certainly from his successor the bishop of Auckland (William Garden Cowie).....

End Quote.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

Today has been a good day on RC, with potential to close two posts as completed.

Just awaiting a second contact, with a POURAU family member.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 August 19 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl.

Recieved your Private Message. Await the reciept by PM, of an email address which I can send a considerable ammount of research to. Private Messaging on this forum does NOT provide for the exchange of images like certificates, press clippings, photos etc.

Hear from you soon.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 19 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl again

If you can read this BUT CANNOT now action the Private Message system for sharing news of the living, don't panic.

Your three 'h' posting that enabled you to initiate PM contact with me, spooked some contributors the the NZ board, and they contacted a moderator.

I've contacted the moderator/s and hopefully the board, and it's privilages, will be returned to you.

Hope to hear from you soon. Otherwise contact the Hukanui Marae, some senior members there know of the historian that is researching their history.

Alan.

Offline Karl G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  I apologise for the h post to open PM. I wasn't sure how it worked so I asked my daughter to see if she had any idea. She then advised me it was sorted so I could PM. No deception or anything involved.  Very nice to see all are serious about the sites protection and I very much appreciate this.  I appreciate the site and have no problem if I am removed because of my actions.  I have no problem proving my identity to Alan or the Moderators if required either. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time. Karl G

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 August 19 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl, and welcome to RootsChat,

Thanks for your explanatory post above, it all makes sense now ;D

I would suggest that you reply twice more to this topic to achieve three posts, as you did before, but try a smiley this time, its a bit less cryptic ;)

Spades,

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Karl G