Author Topic: mary jane brown nee higgins  (Read 4323 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary jane brown nee higgins
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Just looking to see if he has an occupation. A response given to me was along the lines that there was too much to go into Harry Brown so simply looking for an occupation to see if I can guess why they would be a suitable match.

Thanks Mark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 16 December 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh I see  :)
I thought there was a dark family rumour.

As you can see there isn’t one on the marriage certificate.

Have you looked at the censuses?

I think he is in Dawson, Montana in 1910 and is a Farmer.

1920 A shipping clerk (wholesale)
1930 a machinist (helper)
1940 A machinist (Shipyard)

I think it was Annette who mentioned him being an enigma.
His age varies as does his date of immigration into US. That often does though in censuses.
I think it interesting that he tends to use Harry G in US but I can’t see a likely man in England.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 16 December 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks  Mark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 16 December 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for listing occupations, Heywood.

Washington deaths shows a Harry G. Brown bc.1873, died 31/5/1955 King, Washington - parents given as Harry Brown and Sarah Kelly.   This is part of the reason I said he was an enigma - others being for most part born in England and I could certainly not find anyone to match in Lincolnshire, on one census born Scotland, mothers surname different on marriage and death.

This might seem a daft question but are you absolutely sure the George who murdered in Tredegar is from your Higgins family?  The age given in the newspaper articles varies somewhat for someone born ca.1857 (as an average) and actual death entry has bc.1853 - 'your' George was b.1860, birth reg'd June 1860 as George Ring.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 16 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I knew I had seen Kelly somewhere but couldn't remember  ::)

I suppose though that whoever registered the death may not have known his mother’s name.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 17 December 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a newspaper article 'A Chard man charged with murder' sorry date not to hand but likely May 1889 stating the eldest son of P.C. Higgins stationed at Chard. Also seen other articles referring. I tried to obtain a death cert without success.

Mark

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 17 December 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »

Harry G. states his father was also a Harry - because of this it's more than possible that he had the nickname 'Jim' which he used as an adult on a day to day basis but for all official purposes his correct name was given (similar scenario with my own father).

Harry G. himself is bit of an enigma but I don't want to get sidetracked with him - suffice to say from official records/census etc. his age varies between 1873 and 1881 although birthday of 1st June remains the same, arrival in US varies between 1903 and 1906.   He was naturalized in 1909.

'Jim' is clearly Harry G in my opinion and explains why you have been unable to find a marriage for a Jim/James Brown to Mary Jane Higgins, nor births of 2 sons born to a couple with these names.   For whatever reason, Harry G. was known as Jim by the Higgins family documents, Mary Jane was going to H. Brown in Montana when she arrived in US 1913, etc. etc.   Too much 'fits' rather than doesn't.

Annette     

Is this what you are referring to  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 17 December 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Recently there was a post asking if Geirge Higgins, the murderer was from my Higgins family. The Higgins were originally from Bradford Abbas in Dorset before George and Charlotte moved to Tatworth near Chard, Som.George retired to Trent Mill which is close to Bradford Abba in Dorset.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 17 December 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »

This might seem a daft question but are you absolutely sure the George who murdered in Tredegar is from your Higgins family? 

The age given in the newspaper articles varies somewhat for someone born ca.1857 (as an average) and actual death entry has bc.1853 - 'your' George was b.1860, birth reg'd June 1860 as George Ring.

Recently there was a post asking if Geirge Higgins, the murderer was from my Higgins family.

The Higgins were originally from Bradford Abbas in Dorset before George and Charlotte moved to Tatworth near Chard, Som.

George retired to Trent Mill which is close to Bradford Abba in Dorset.

Do you have George Higgins (Jnr.) on the 1881 census?

George Higgins age 10 Bradford, Dorset on 1871 census with parents George & Charlotte
and siblings Charles 7, Bessie 5, Eliza Ann 4, James E 2
1881c they have  two additional children Mary Jane 9 & Wm 7 - George is not with the family

This article says a coker named George Higgins age 30 Alias Jones and Daley.......
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WDT18890703.2.12

EDIT

I should have looked at the other thread as it answers the question re: 1881 census  ::)
reply  posted by KGarrad
George, the younger, born 1861 was in Bradford Abbas in 1881:

Class: RG11; Piece: 2118; Folio: 10; Page: 12
Bradford Abbas, Dorset

Living with the Chainey family
Higgins, George  Lodger  M  20  Railway Plate Layer  b Bradford Abbas

3 doors away we find James Higgins (33) also a Railway Plate Layer, with wife Jane and 5 children.
5 doors previous we find William Higgins (26) a Railway Labourer, with wife Rose and daughter.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk