Author Topic: charles higgins  (Read 3299 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles higgins
« on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Charles higgins b 1866 lived in tatworth. Parents george and charlotte higgins. Since my post a couple of years ago it appears ne might have gone to the usa, probably to see his sister in seatlle.the inquest of his brother george nentioned a son visiting from tge usa. He might also have been in the army and we still believe he drowned. Any help would be most welcome.  Mark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles higgins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Think it would help if you amend birthdate on your post - Charles Higgins was born in 1863 (not 1866), birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1863 Chard (son of George Higgins and Charlotte Ring).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Charles was also baptised with the middle name Paul on the 1 Nov 1866, which may or may not help identify him when searching. His sister Bessie was baptised the same day

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 02:05 GMT (UK) »
There is this death
Charles P Higgins
Age at death -   44
Registered Sept 1/4 1910,  born about 1866
Registration district -Shepton Mallet Somerset
Vol 5c Page 230

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 02:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a Charles P Higgins returning to the UK from New York on 3 Sep 1899. I can't read his occupation.

There is  a military record on ancestry for a Charles Higgins but I can't access it as it is only available through Fold3.
Also ancestry has a Chelsea Pensioner soldier service record for a Charles Higgins of Pylle Somerset. Pylle is about 30 miles NNE of Tatworth. Again available through Fold3. However there is a birth registration for a Charles Higgins 1866 reg district Shepton Mallet which includes Pylle so these military records could very well be his. Also he is with his grandfather Edward in 1871 in Pyle so off the list of possibilities?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
There is  a military record on ancestry for a Charles Higgins but I can't access it as it is only available through Fold3.
Also ancestry has a Chelsea Pensioner soldier service record for a Charles Higgins of Pylle Somerset.

Many of these records that Ancestry has put on Fold3 are available on FindMyPast
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
The Charles Higgins b.1866 Pylle is a different person entirely.   This one was the illegitimate son of a Jane Higgins who later married a Joseph Ashford and it is this man who was in the army - his mother and stepfather listed on his service papers.   On 1871 census he is listed as 'Charles P' (although birth entry as plain Charles) and was clearly another Charles Paul Higgins - he married an Irish lady named Amy and he is the Charles Paul Higgins buried 22/7/1910 Pylle.   Census the following year shows Amy as a widow.

So, son of George and Charlotte (nee Ring), was registered at birth as plain Charles in Dec.qtr.1863, baptised as Charles Paul together with his sister Bessie in 1866, and vanishes between 1881 and 1891 census.

Bessie Higgins was registered in June quarter 1865 (mmn Ring).   Having read your previous thread on this family you say that Bessie was your gt. grandmother but she didn't marry until 1914 when she was 49 (having previously lived at home until then) so wondering how she was your gt. grandmother (unless she'd had an illegitimate child at some point who hadn't lived with her).

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help. Charles was from the Tatworth/Chard area and born at Crewkerne (all close). He witnessed a will in Chard in 7/1883 whilst working as a sols clerk. Chard Volunteers had a colour sergt Higgins in 1894 which might have been him. A challenge cup was won by Charles Higgins in the Chard area Western Gazette 7/11/1884.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Mark, you didn't explain about Bessie?

Annette
London -  Monk